• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Montan Fab Transmission Override Pre 1996

Ramairuss

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased the Montana Fab transmission override system, installed it and something is wrong.

With the tranny shifted in "D" and the MF selector in “D” it will not shift out of first. While the tranny is in 1-2 the MF selector works as described locking the tranny in 1 or 2 (only) as selected.

I unplugged it and plugged the TCU back to stock and it shifts just fine. I have the pre 1996 system.

I have heard good things about this system and would like to keep it. Anyone heard of or have this problem?

You don't need it for pre 96 - the 96 down TCU is not smart enough to notice if the solenoids are disconnected from it and driven with a switch. Also many of the wire colors are different on 96 down vs 97 up; I haven't checked exactly which but I would expect it to require some careful work, though once properly wired it should perform the same on 96 down.

Here's what you want for 96 down override:
http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/aw4shiftmod.html

The 96 and earlier transmission controllers just power the solenoids when they want them to turn on. They do the equivalent of closing their eyes while flipping the light switch, and assuming the bulb isn't burned out. The 97 and up transmission controllers are "smart" enough to know when the solenoid is either pulling too much current or not enough, and will throw a check engine light to alert the owner that something is broken and needs fixing. The montana fab kit is designed to keep the 97 and up transmission controller from realizing that it isn't in command anymore (keeps it from noticing that the solenoids are disconnected from it) while letting you shift to whatever gear you want.

My bet is that it's wired wrong, yes.

Just call Ryan at Montana Auto Fab tomorrow (406 459-4847) and he will walk you through the entire process. He'll probably be able to tell you exactly what you did (or didn't do) wrong. Ryan is good people.

Back