• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ rear disc swap - which e-brake cables?

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a straight-forward answer on this, as I have not been able to find one. I am in the midst of swapping an 8.25 into my '89, and I am doing the ZJ rear disc swap at the same time. What are the correct e-brake cables for this swap? I have read the following:

*97ish Explorer cables. Sounds great to me, but they are two different sizes side to side, and the cables in the truck now are the same length. Do I use two of one side? And if so, which side?

*KJ Cables - supposed to work, but they're apparently VERY long. How long?

*ZJ cables. Are these a direct swap? Are they the same length side-to-side?

I've even read that some are using one ZJ and one KJ cable, but no info on right or left side on those.

I have tried going to the parts stores to compare, but none of them locally stock any of these options, so I have no way to compare side-to-side without actually purchasing and ordering the cables. I can't do the loop/clamp modification on my current cables, as that will not pass inspection. For the same reason, I can not modify replacement cables, either - what I use has to be a direct drop-in replacement.

Any solid info or answers on this would be greatly appreciated. :looney:

this has been discussed quite a few times and i have answered how i went with kj cables on numerous occasions. if you search you can probably find my responses and answers to your above posted questions.

KJ's are long I guess (good if you are lifted), personally I went with explorer cables.

I scored a Lokar explorer kit off the Cherokee that suffered the loss of its axles at the junkyard. The explorer parking brake is virtually identical to the ZJ parking brake. After getting it adjusted up right, the parking brake feels factory, and will lock up the rears on pavement.

I'm using the ZJ cables, but they are a bit short and stress out the welded mounts on the transmission hump due to the angle they pull at(they've worked up till now, but they need to be tightened and it's not gonna happen without a rip). I looked at the explorer ones online from Napa and noticed the significant difference in length, so I understand your question, cause ours are equal length. Guess I'll break out the tape measure on my current setup and figure out which explorer cable is a couple inches longer and I'll double up on that.

You can also cut off the ZJ donor ends and weld onto your drum cables.

I used the stock cables on my XJ, works great, cost a couple of buck for the cable clamps.

As I mentioned in the original post, I can not do the loop and clamp or modify the cables due to safety inspection regulations. So neither of those options are viable.

KJ's are long I guess (good if you are lifted), personally I went with explorer cables.

Did you use one of each, or two of the long ones, or two of the short ones?

I'm using the ZJ cables, but they are a bit short and stress out the welded mounts on the transmission hump due to the angle they pull at(they've worked up till now, but they need to be tightened and it's not gonna happen without a rip).

This is the kind of info I'm after, because I have not seen any mention of that potential issue prior to you posting it. How much(if any) lift are you working with on your truck?

I used a left and right set.

Back