• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock crossbar strength, mount tire?

max419

NAXJA Forum User
well like the title says im trying to figure out how strong the stock crossbars are.
They are the ones that have the little dial in between the crossbar and roofrail to tighten it down from sliding forward or back on the rails on the roof. there are 2 of them and 2 little ones that dont have crossbars but a little loop on top that also slide up and down the rail.

I run a 33x12.5x15 and was thinking of using 2 ratchet straps and strap them diaganaly over and through the tire from each crossbar. they seem pretty strong and i know the straps would hold. just dont know about the crossbars.

Anyone tried this or had these crossbats break on them from carrying any load?

its not that the crossbars arent strong enough, its the ability of the track to rip out of the roof that scares me. i go too fast to have one up there, but people DO.

Well besides the already mentioned concerns theres the high COG issue and its absolutely no fun getting the tire on/off the roof.

its not that the crossbars arent strong enough, its the ability of the track to rip out of the roof that scares me. i go too fast to have one up there, but people DO.

As long as you tie down to the gutters and not the crossbars, the track shouldn't take any loads that would make it rip off. I made the mistake of tie-ing down to the crossbars and pulled one of the bolts through the roof. Didn't have any issues tied to the gutters. I only had a 31/10.50 up there though.

hows he gonna tie to the gutter with a ratchet strap?

my gutter trim peices are also falling off, dont know if theyd hold much more.

i do agree that a proper roofrack that mounts to the gutter rails would be best though!

Well besides the already mentioned concerns theres the high COG issue and its absolutely no fun getting the tire on/off the roof.

Seems like a real hassel to get that thing up there. Would hate to think I had to do that by myself. I could just see getting that down and it rolling down the hill or somthing like that.

Back