• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 2wd Tranny to 1996 2wd tranny

I believe so. You may have to swap some electrical connectors. Also, you'll want to transplant the driveshaft along with the transmission and/or swap the slip yoke depending on rear axle and driveshaft length.

You'll want to use the flex plate from the 96 but the torque converter from the 88.

I'm not sure why you would want to use such an old unit though - is it extremely low miles or extremely low price?

I believe so. You may have to swap some electrical connectors. Also, you'll want to transplant the driveshaft along with the transmission and/or swap the slip yoke depending on rear axle and driveshaft length.

You'll want to use the flex plate from the 96 but the torque converter from the 88.

I'm not sure why you would want to use such an old unit though - is it extremely low miles or extremely low price?

50k on a rebuilt tranny . @$50 ;)
So basically both. I figured that they are both 2wd AW4's and that they would be a direct "bolt on". If that was the case, I would go buy it tomorrow just for insurance so i can have an extra one laying around in case I needed it..
But if it's getting into the flex plate and torque converter, it may not be worth it.
Thank you for your answer and advice.

no no, definitely go for it. The transmission should come with the torque converter that matches it, and the flex plate comes with your engine. You have to mess around with both of them to swap it anyways.

I would grab it for that pricing, 50 bucks is a decent price.

no no, definitely go for it. The transmission should come with the torque converter that matches it, and the flex plate comes with your engine. You have to mess around with both of them to swap it anyways.

I would grab it for that pricing, 50 bucks is a decent price.
Thank you. Just for more information, here's what i am looking at buying:
3k93pd3l55V65Y65R3a4fac10c2ecc1d01255.jpg

The main difference in the AW4 from the early to later models in the 21 and 23 spline outputs for the t-case. However, since you have 2WD it doesnt even make a difference. You may run into some different style connectors and issues with the speedo. Older ones had a mech speedo, newer is elec. Worst comes to worst, you could swap the tailshaft/tailhousing over to get the newer speedo.

Aside from the awesome price AND that its a rebuilt unit, 2WD AW4's are very hard to come by.

Id grab it.

Since the VSS / speedo go into the same spot on an np231 I figured they'd swap out the same way on an AW-4 2wd housing too. My main worry was the slip joint changeover from 95 to 96 (thus suggesting swapping the slip yoke or driveshaft.)

If I found myself needing a 2wd AW-4 and not in possession of one, I'd probably throw a 4wd one with a 231 on it under there and just not connect up the shift linkage or anything on the front output, then put a 4wd rear driveshaft on it.

You guys are GREAT! Thank you very much! My 2wd is working fine so far, but for the less than the cost of a few rounds of drinks and a night on the town (I'm married, so not much of that :) ) I figured it would be good deal if there were no extreme modifications needed.

Back