• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What causes a bad shackle angle?

your shackle angle is caused by leaves being too short and pulling the shackle back causing your verticle shackle problem

Then I guess my next question is why do manufacturers sell leaf packs that are too short?
The simplest explanation is to avoid lawsuits. The designer kind of has to assume the spring is going to be installed with everything else being stock.

If they made the springs long enough to have a good shackle angle at ride height, the spring would push the shackle into the rear frame when the spring is flattened out, which would cause idiots with lawyers to ask for repair costs and refunds.

not to mention they are probably the right length before they arch them. if its a problem for you (since your posting about it). buy or build relocation brackets, and this will greatly improve flex and ride from what i hear. planning on doing this for my 88.

Then I guess my next question is why do manufacturers sell leaf packs that are too short?

They aren't too short. For what they intended it for, it's fine. When you start modifying it, like throwing in an AAL and shackles, the angle decreases and becomes verticle. I had the same spring pack with TWO sets of aal and got the vertical shackle as well.

DSCF6698.jpg

Get the shackle relocation brackets and it'll fix it.

Just because it is vertical does not mean it is "bad". There are so many other factors to consider. You can't just look at it and make the statement that it is bad because it is vertical. The shackle on the back of our racer is vertical, and so are most of the other teams. Does that mean we are all doing it wrong?

the brackets are a good product. easily used with a hitch. but it may require some trimming. my XJ had a bolt not accounted for on the brackets so i had to cut the corner off, and an extra bolt hole. no big deal though. and im sure if you get them and post in your local naxja section, someone would be more than willing to weld them up for you for some beer or something.

said bolt:
IMG_0007-9.jpg

removed corner:
IMG_0008-10.jpg

Just because it is vertical does not mean it is "bad". There are so many other factors to consider. You can't just look at it and make the statement that it is bad because it is vertical. The shackle on the back of our racer is vertical, and so are most of the other teams. Does that mean we are all doing it wrong?

No, it's not bad, it's just not a good angle for ride quality and flex. It's like a 5" lift on stock control arms. the angles of the arms give a nasty ride but it works. There's always room for improvement and that's what these brackets do.

No, it's not bad, it's just not a good angle for ride quality and flex. It's like a 5" lift on stock control arms. the angles of the arms give a nasty ride but it works. There's always room for improvement and that's what these brackets do.

You totally missed my point.

You totally missed my point.

Is there a situation, aside from flipped shackle orientation, in which a vertical shackle is a good thing?
If not... I may have missed your point too. You aren't doing it wrong with a vertical shackle, just not as well as you could be.

Is there a situation, aside from flipped shackle orientation, in which a vertical shackle is a good thing?
If not... I may have missed your point too. You aren't doing it wrong with a vertical shackle, just not as well as you could be.

It all depends on how the suspension cycles. The "proper" angle at ride height is the one that allows full compression and full extension. Could be leaned back, leaned forward, or vertical. Please explain how vertical isn't "as well as it could be".

I never debated what the brackets are for. I debated the statement that vertical isn't as good as something else. I'd really like to hear the logic on this one.

Back