• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dash gauges drop randomly

adw595

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1999 xj, and i have a problem... randomly the dash gauges will drop, sometimes just the rpm and the mph, and other times everything, (bat, fuel, rpm and mph). where should i start?
-Thanks

The connector for the instrument panel is notorious for coming loose and causing intermittent loss of gauges. Some people give the dash a good whack and the gauges will come back on. You can take the cluster out, apply dielectric grease and bend the pins slightly (be careful not to break them) and reinstall. There are numerous write-ups here on how to remove the instrument panel. The search is your friend. The whole process took me about 15 minutes. It's very simple and does not require any specialty tools. If the problem persists, I believe there was a service bulletin somewhere on a new connector that relieves some of the tension on the connector (most likely what leads to the problem in the 1st place.) Hope this helps get you started.

i have a 1999 xj, and i have a problem... randomly the dash gauges will drop, sometimes just the rpm and the mph, and other times everything, (bat, fuel, rpm and mph). where should i start?
-Thanks

You can start by searching.... I think it's only been covered like eleventy billion times here......

Wait, eleventy billion and one.......

Back