• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading e-fan question

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I have plans to upgrade my e-fan. Jeg's has a good deal going on and I'm considering it..

JEGS 52130 JEGS Straight Blade Universal Electric Cooling Fans

I'm confused on something though. It says the fan is reversible. Does the fan blade assembly come off and flip around to change from push to puller? How is it reversible? I want to mount this behind the radiator as a puller. I never messed with e-fans before so this is new to me.

I emailed jegs. They said the fan has a nut in the middle. That comes off and the fan is flipped around. There's 5 holes surrounding the nuts that line up with studs so the fan stays put as it's held by the nut.

swapping the leads = reverse
mounting the fan backwards = reverse air flow, pushing not pulling (tho not always advisable)
flipping the blades around = not reverse

swapping the leads = reverse
mounting the fan backwards = reverse air flow, pushing not pulling (tho not always advisable)
flipping the blades around = not reverse

Come to think of it, you are right. I wasn't thinking about how the motor still spins in the same direction.

Jegs is gettin another email from me lol....

Be careful, brushless DC motors do not work when you power them in reverse... a well designed one will just not work, but a badly designed one may burn out.

I'm not sure if the motor in that fan is brushless or not.

My bet is that they are calling it reversible because you can flip the housing on it somehow, which would reverse the flow.

Be careful, brushless DC motors do not work when you power them in reverse... a well designed one will just not work, but a badly designed one may burn out.

I'm not sure if the motor in that fan is brushless or not.

My bet is that they are calling it reversible because you can flip the housing on it somehow, which would reverse the flow.

I'm looking at the picture and I can't see how I can flip the housing cuz it seems to be one piece. if I turn the whole thing around, the cone shaped rear will be facing the radiator and won't mount flush.

I have plans to upgrade my e-fan. Jeg's has a good deal going on and I'm considering it..

JEGS 52130 JEGS Straight Blade Universal Electric Cooling Fans

I want to mount this behind the radiator as a puller. I never messed with e-fans before so this is new to me.

Check out the writeup I did, essentially the same fan, probably more then likely is. It comes setup as a puller ready to go, nothing special expect two wires.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=942192

Back