• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk rim width..

MahnkenVille

NAXJA Forum User
I googled and searched, couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have BFG AT KO 31x10.5 15, currently on stock 7" wide XJ wheels. Just found an insane deal on four wheels with better backspacing but rim width is 10". 33's are in the plans but are currently quite a ways off unless I work a ton this summer. Is 10" too wide for these 31s?

thanks,
Greg

10" is to wide for 31's and 33's, pass em up till you can find some 8" wheels

I wouldnt suggest any 10"seven on 33s. It sounds like your staying somewhat mellow sofar since you have 31s and since 33s are coming, id say hold out and just go for some cheap steelies 15x8s. im running those with 33s on two xjs right now. You can pick up the steelies new at a discount tire or ntwonline for around 45$ a piece. this combo is one of the most common for jeepers. Im going to 35s on one and still stickin with the 8"s. If you werent so far im about to pass on my bfg muds 2 with 95% tread and 3 with abt 65%

From a thread a couple days ago:

You don't ever want a 10" wheel, or need a 10" wheel. Well, maybe if you got some 15.5" wide tires......maybe. You pop a bead too often on 10" wide wheels, so stick with 8". Even on beadlocks, you'll pop an inner bead with 10" wheels. We've been through this often, with plenty of folks getting rid of their 10" and going to 8". Recently, one of my very experienced wheeling buddies bought some fairly wide new Pit Bull tires, and since he was also getting new beadlock rims he asked them what width rim he should run and they told him 10" for that tire. Now he has a brand new set of 10" wide Walker Evans beadlocks and he's regularly popping the inner bead. Should have known better.

Stick with 8" wide rims.

I know steelies are cheap but these were $50 for four so I sorta jumped on it quickly. Looks like i'll be on the lookout for 15x8s. and 33s are a LONG way off unless I get a lot of work this summer. plan for the summer is to maybe get some armor on it and wheel it harder, and eventually get it up another inch and trim, and get some TrXus 33s or similar on there.

Back