• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I gots loose nuts!

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I was working on replacing the output yoke seal on the back of my t-case (sye) and noticed the nut wiggling in there. It was finger loose! What the....

I remember torquing the nut to 175 ft lbs and using blue locktite but it still came loose? My gf's brother's jeep had the same problem when his nut came loose as well. I've heard a few others with this issue. Both of us have the PORC sye kit.

Why do the yoke nuts work their way loose all the time?

time+vibration+mild heat= loose nut
try finding a lock washer or grind a burr on the start of the bolt and pound the best quality loctite u can on it.....even go up to 200 lbs if that dont work. but its one of them jeep things. also u can take a chisel and dimple the top of the nut.....kinda like one of them oval shaped lock nuts and that should help

Last edited:
Number 1 cause of Loctite not working--poor prep of the threads. Clean them, follow the directions--yeah, I know it goes against the grain, but you can actually follow directions 6 times per year without turning in your ManCard, says so in the fine print.

I'll echo what Joe said here. Loctite needs a clean surface to stick to, otherwise it will just twist out with whichever surface it bonds to. Dirt and rust bits on the threads can also get into the loctite and keep it from hardening properly. Loctite is an anerobic chemical - it cures with the absence of air. Rust especially can cause it to fail as rust is never really "dry" - that's why it will keep getting worse under paint. It holds onto moisture from the humidity in the air, and doesn't let the loctite cure properly.

I wouldn't torque the nut down further than the reccommended amount; they decide on those numbers for a reason. Otherwise the directions would just say "get it tight as all hell then tighten it some more."

If you can't clean the threads up and you continue to have problems with it coming loose do as stated above and put a burr in the end of the threads, that way at least you know it won't come all the way off. Do that by hitting the end of the threaded area with a hammer and chisel. Try to leave it as something that can be easily ground off in case you need to get it back apart for some reason later.

In the gun world bolts would get staked on. If this is meant as a semi-permanent connection, use a chisel and hammer and knock some metal from one into the next.

STAKE$20.$20ANVIL$20.$20COLT$20$28Custom$29.jpg

Back