• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake caliper brands?

JWFokker

NAXJA Forum User
There seems to be a huge variance in price between brake calipers. Is there any reason to spend $90+ per caliper on a Crown or Omix-Ada part versus the ~$24 Raybestos or A1 Cardone remanufactured parts or the $30 AC Delco calipers?

I realize some of the calipers are sold with pads, but that doesn't explain the $60-80 price difference, especially since the $92-115 per caliper options don't come with pads anyway.

There seems to be a huge variance in price between brake calipers. Is there any reason to spend $90+ per caliper on a Crown or Omix-Ada part versus the ~$24 Raybestos or A1 Cardone remanufactured parts or the $30 AC Delco calipers?

I realize some of the calipers are sold with pads, but that doesn't explain the $60-80 price difference, especially since the $92-115 per caliper options don't come with pads anyway.

I've never replaced the ones on my XJ, but in general (many other vehicles in the last 40 years), I've never had any issues with rebuilt calipers or wheel cylinder of the cheapest variety I can buy. But I also believe in always doing both sides at the same time.

I haven't had any problems with the Raybestos rebuilds. Crown and Omix-Ada don't always make the highest quality parts. If you have good rotors and use new pads the remanufactured part will work just as well.

Last edited:
I'm using Raybestos rebuilds that came preloaded with pads right now. No complaints.

They come with pads and copper crush washers as well as caliper slide bolts but not new banjo bolts... just a heads up.

I use whatever I can get ahold of at the scrap yard, carquest and napa supplies are kinda limited here in Kodiak and shipping is a killer.

I use whatever I can get ahold of at the scrap yard, carquest and napa supplies are kinda limited here in Kodiak and shipping is a killer.

Getting by with just the Bear necessities?

So can you see Russia from there? :laugh3: Google says 57°42'02.87"N, 152°34'56.52"W is on S Russian Creek Rd.

Never had an issue with rebuilt calipers.

I've been using the $20 a piece rebuilt calipers from autozone (after you give them back your core). I did notice they use phenolic pistons, and not metal. This is mostly an advantage IMO. I've been runnning them two years now, no problems great performance. I've run A1 cardone's on another car for years and that was the caliper and carriers, no problems as well. IMO pick whatever is cheapest and don't look back.

Back