• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let it Snow!

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got some real snow last night! A buddy of mine has been wanting to go wheeling for a while, but we've never been able to find a time that worked for us...until yesterday afternoon.

Friend: "What are you up to tonight?"

Me: "Nothing."

Friend: "Let's wheel Evans Creek."

Me: "Okay."

So with that, I made a few phone calls to find a wingman...and our recent transplant from California was the only one game. With 1 hour of notice, Adam (adamusmc2002) was at the Bonney Lake Safeway with a full cooler waiting for the rest of us to show up. :)

We hit 311a first at about 8:30 taking our time and being careful. The fact that we were the only ones up there was never far from our minds. There was a light dusting of snow, but nothing too crazy. By the time we got to the top of 311b, it was a couple inches deep and providing some real challenge.

We motored down to the campground after that to see if there was anyone at all there...there wasn't. From there we hit 520, threading our way through the trees which looked ghostly covered in snow. Every foot of altitude we gained meant more and more snow. By the time we got to the top, there was probably three inches of fresh power. We were the first rigs to drive on this layer of snow.

At the top of 520, we jumped on 198 and made our way to the top. There were a few tense moments and I nearly slid off the trail at the top of 198. A couple quick minutes of winching and we were back on our way. At the deepest part there was at least 5"-6" of snow and all the puddles were totally frozen over.

Anyone planning on hitting altitudes over 4500 ft this weekend should plan on some serious snow, and I'm betting that Evans will be a winchfest this weekend if there are a lot of rigs up there. I WILL have some pictures soon, but for now you'll have to make do with a couple cell-phone pics from the Safeway parking lot on our way out. Note how deep the snow is on the roof rack!

1163181711.jpg

1163181898.jpg

-----Matt-----

Sorry I didn't get your message till way too late. We'll have to swap #s in case that ever happens again. That last sentence was strictly rugged and manly.

Also, call me crazy but your Jeep looks seriously tuff in the second picture. The non-grille and the cut fenders with the beefy bumper. I don't know exactly what it is but it looks like it's been to hell and back.

It took a little longer than I expected, but here are the pics I promised:

The new mud hole on 311 (no comments, Paul):

casio147.jpg

Brake Line Hill:

casio150.jpg

casio154.jpg

Adam on BLH:

casio156.jpg

casio158.jpg

It was like an Interco commercial:

casio162.jpg

Up onto 520 we saw the first of the real snow:

casio167.jpg

What wheeling trip with me would be complete without some gratutius posing?

casio169.jpg

There's Adam...waving? Wheeling with 'tards, anyone?

casio170.jpg

casio176.jpg

Here's us on 198, making our way to the top:

casio179.jpg

casio183.jpg

-----Matt-----

This is the rock strewn section towards the end of 198. It was absolutely beautiful up there with the lights of Tacoma in the distance. It was pretty surreal how quiet it was, too...Flowmaster Series 40 notwithstanding.

casio189.jpg

casio187.jpg

casio198.jpg

This is when things got a little tense. Since we were in the snow, alone, on a remote mountain, we were being a little more careful than normal. When I felt the front start to slide off the edge of the trail, I stopped immediatly, lest it turn into a JMotorsport/Friendly Ghost/Icey Diaz type of situation.

No problem, I've got a winch:

casio201.jpg

casio200.jpg

All strapped up, I got behind the wheel and pressed the "In" on the winch controller.

Click.

Click.

Click.

Oh, crap.

Luckily, the battery cables had been left unattached after John replaced my alternator on the trail, so it only took a few minutes to get it back up and running. Until someone lost a bolt:

casio203.jpg

Ummmm....

casio202.jpg

Disaster averted. It was time to go home before our luck ran out.

casio206.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this puts you all in the mood for a snow run soon, I know it left me wanting more.

-----Matt-----

Back