• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA 10/5 shifter problem

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, my 88 MJ (4.0, BA 10, 231) is endowed with a nice BA10/5 tranny. I also have an AW4 waiting deployment...BUT...until I get the rest of the parts for the AW4 I have to use the Peugot. I know how the shifter goes in and out. No problem. My problem is dismantling the shifter ITSELF.

The shifter boot is toast, as are the other pieces on the shifter. To remove the old toasted boot and put on the shiny new (junkyard) boot and related parts I need to separate the bottom part of the shifter from the uppr part. It's held in place inside the fat part of the shifter with a rubber piece with what looks like a pressure clip surrounding it.

I have searched and Googled, FSM'd, Chilton, Haynes etc. and NOBODY even mentions how to replace the lower boot. It can't slide over from the top or the bottom unless that fat part in the middle is removed.

Anyone have a photo or advice on how to get that piece off?? I'm stumped.

Well, that is the shifter with the bulge part way up right?

Ok, seems to me the key to that is to take two pieces of shim stock or hacksaw blade and you slip them up from the bottom into the hump area and that releases the clips and you can pull it apart.

Now, most references I have seen to doing this mention having the shifter assembly held in a vise, which means unbolting it from the trans. I know I have seen pictures posted on the internet, maybe at Gojeeps website, maybe even here on NAXJA.

If you can't figure it out let me know and I will search some more.

if i recall correctly, you can just take the shifter knob off and pull it off from the top no?

Well, that is the shifter with the bulge part way up right?..

Yes, it's the bulge that's giving me fits (that'll end up in someones sig).

Ok, seems to me the key to that is to take two pieces of shim stock or hacksaw blade and you slip them up from the bottom into the hump area and that releases the clips and you can pull it apart..

That would figure, and that's what it looks like it should do but as yet no luck. It LOOKS just that simple, but it's in there super tight. I haven't tried the hacksaw idea, but I'll give it a shot.

Now, most references I have seen to doing this mention having the shifter assembly held in a vise, which means unbolting it from the trans. .

I have the shifter out and I have another from the JY with a nice upper and lower shift boot. I have tried the vise and a thin blade screwdriver while contorting a bit with channel locks and pulling.

if i recall correctly, you can just take the shifter knob off and pull it off from the top no?

No. Like I said, the shifter is out. The knob is off. The rotating ball at the bottom and the bulge in the middle prevents any sort of boot replacement. I'll take a photo this afternoon.

The donor shifter came apart fairly easy with a vise and a crowbar. Like a pickle fork with more leverage. After I got that one apart, the other one was easier to rig up. I have a different shifter extension to put back on. Good to go.

Back