• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Jeep keeps upshifting then downshifting from OD

JoJoDaKilla

NAXJA Forum User
PHP:
I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. When I'm driving around 35-45 the Jeep keeps feeling like it upshifts then downshifts with the slightest push of the gas. Now is this just me or is there something I should be checking for. It shifts fine though and runs great through all the gears. I'm completely new to this forum and a new owner of this Jeep so be nice to me haha. I got this Jeep at a great deal for just helping someone move. I've had 2 others before this one including an 83 big boy FSJ. Not a bad lookin Jeep for free eh? Heaviest thing I lifted was a 27" tv! Thanks guys and glad to be here!
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/JoJoDaKilla/5d47e0cd.jpg[/IMG]

Is your transmission button on the dash in "Comfort" or "Power?"

I'm betting it is in comfort, which changes the shift points of the transmission. The button is on the dash, right side of the steering wheel, right between the column and the rear washer switch.

I don't fool with that switch it's just in the normal position. I've always heard that thing never works. But then again all the vacuum lines were replaced from the dealership so it might work now. It use to have the typical garden hose fix most xjs had lol. Anyways no it's just in the normal position. I might switch it tomorrow to see if it does anything when I goto work to see if it makes a difference. Can anyone actually say their switch works lol?

Free Jeep ? You SUCK !

You can try the EZ TV cable adjustment.. someone posted about it a few weeks ago. takes 15 seconds or something.

Haha yeah I know. When I got it everyone asked what's wrong with it. It was hard for everyone to believe it looked that good. Only thing I've had to replace was the speakers so far. Haha I have to have music. I also get that popping sound though every once in awhile when I come to a stop and then hit the gas. It does it forward and in reverse, just hope it's nothing horrible.

My switch also works - I thought I blew the transmission while borrowing it from the previous owner, realized a few lousy minutes later that I had bumped the switch with my knee.

My vote's on comfort mode, with TPS second and the brake switch third (if the brake switch is dirty or misadjusted I'm pretty sure the TCU will think you're hitting the brakes randomly and unlock the torque converter, which can feel like a shift.)

Back