• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 acting strange...

skylinergtr

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I have a 91 XJ 2dr 4.0L 5spd 4X4. Today's been a beautiful day here in Vancouver, so i decided to just look around the jeep. Check the oil, tire pressure and whatnot. Anywho, back in winter (we didnt really have a winter), the 4x4 on the jeep was working fine. Anytime i put it in 4H, the part time light would go on no problem. Well today even though, there are no bad conditions i just wanted to check the 4x4 system. I then put the car is 4H and went up my driveway. The Part time light was then kinda of staying on but then would fade and turn on again. Anytime i put the car in reverse it would then turn off. I tried to find a rough road to go on but it wasnt very long. I dont know if i experimented enough but from what i saw today the part time light was going on/off. Hopefully this is not a bad sign of a failing transfer case. Any suggestions?

thanks

Well, if you have the NP231 you probably have the D30 CAD vacuum disconnect axle, and it may not be operating properly.

So, what transfercase do you have?

Well, if you have the NP231 you probably have the D30 CAD vacuum disconnect axle, and it may not be operating properly.

So, what transfercase do you have?

i guess your right. The model number on the trasfer case is written as 2311 i believe. So would the transfercase itself not be operating correctly? are these typical to stop functioning? i used it in the winter and it worked fine. I just wanted to turn it on again for a little bit to prevent anything from seizing.

NP231 J, so you probably have the D30 CAD vacuum axle--on the passenger's side of the axle there is a vacuum motor to engage/disengage the axle lock collar.

So, first thing to do is check the vacuum reservoir, it looks like a ball or a capsule behind the passenger's side of the front bumper. The line that runs to it by the battery tends to break there, or could be broken further back towards the intake (source) manifold. Cool upgrade is to relocate the reservoir into the engine compartment--I put mine under the coolant pressure bottle on the firewall, eliminates about 5 feet of problematic vacuum line.

Ok, if the vacuum system is working, then it could be the vacuum motor on the axle, the vacuum switch on the transfer case, and the lines running all over the place.

So, check the reservoir and vacuum harness in the engine compartment--use a vacuum gauge--and post back what you find.

Good luck.

NP231 J, so you probably have the D30 CAD vacuum axle--on the passenger's side of the axle there is a vacuum motor to engage/disengage the axle lock collar.

So, first thing to do is check the vacuum reservoir, it looks like a ball or a capsule behind the passenger's side of the front bumper. The line that runs to it by the battery tends to break there, or could be broken further back towards the intake (source) manifold. Cool upgrade is to relocate the reservoir into the engine compartment--I put mine under the coolant pressure bottle on the firewall, eliminates about 5 feet of problematic vacuum line.

Ok, if the vacuum system is working, then it could be the vacuum motor on the axle, the vacuum switch on the transfer case, and the lines running all over the place.

So, check the reservoir and vacuum harness in the engine compartment--use a vacuum gauge--and post back what you find.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the help. Appreciate it! Will be looking at what you've noted sometime during the week. Thanks again! hopefully its something small...

I thought the axle changed in 91, but the light was still vacuum activated? If it is stock, the only t-case that came with a manual was a 231 if I am not mistaken.
I have an 89 and do have a vac-disco, my 4WD works but my light does not come on. probably a loose vacuum line or something. IF you can confirm that your 4WD is working, I would not be too concerned about the light.

I thought the axle changed in 91, but the light was still vacuum activated? If it is stock, the only t-case that came with a manual was a 231 if I am not mistaken.
I have an 89 and do have a vac-disco, my 4WD works but my light does not come on. probably a loose vacuum line or something. IF you can confirm that your 4WD is working, I would not be too concerned about the light.

My reference says through 91, no D30 CAD 92+.

Back