• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Side Mirror Mounting Question

BostonJeepDriver

NAXJA Forum User
This question MAY belong in the Modified XJ forum, but I think not.

Some college punks kicked off my side mirrors. I had the kind you could adjust manually with the joystick-like lever from the inside. Due to cash considerations, I'm replacing them with fixed, manually adjustable ones.

Bought some from Rock Auto. Have always had good luck with them.

There are three mounting points that go through the door and "bolts" go into them to attach them. These three mounting posts ARE NOT threaded inside. They appear to be lead.

My factory parts list refers to the mounting "bolts" as "screws." They appear to be hardened metal, slightly tapered at the tip.

Am I correct in assuming that they are self-tapping and that they will cut their own threads into the lead mounting posts? Or have I been sent improperly manufactured parts by Rock Auto?

Anyone ever run into this situation? Thanks in advance!

They should be slightly triangular screws and yes, they are self tapping.

I know it's too late, but next time (hope there isn't one) go to a junkyard. Mirrors are cheap.

I had my driver door badly dented and my window smashed by some drunk jackasses from Worcester State, so I know where you're coming from on that. Insurance told me that since I had no police report and no idea who did it, I was up shit creek as far as the door was concerned, but they did replace the glass free of charge.

Mine threaded into the mirror from the inside..

Thanks Johnnie....... could you please clarify......

OK..... yours "threaded in from the inside"...... does that mean they cut their own threads? Or was the mounting stud already threaded on the inside?

Thanks

Back