• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to Manual window swap

NJblackdeath4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I searched a bit and found a lot of manual-to-power, but not many power to-manual window swap threads. And the ones I did find didn't help much so here we go.

I cut my doors off a year ago and because I was impatient and didn't really care much, I just snipped the wires to my rear doors which have power windows (and because hey, if it's "windows down weather", it's "doors off weather"). So they have been stuck up for quite a while and my front windows just flat out stopped working so they're stuck too.

I'm not one for messin with electricals so instead of trying to fix my power windows, I would rather just try to swap a manual window set up in and never have to worry about connecting/disconnecting wires ever again.

So my question(s):

Is it possible to swap the window systems out or would I need whole new doors with roll ups?

If so, how simple is it?

Does anybody have a clue if this is possible? I would hate to buy everything just to find out it won't work.

You should be able to get manual window regulators from a JY. Of course, the door panels won't have the cutouts for the cranks so I'd grab them and the door handle covers too if they're in decent shape or simply chop a hole and leave the window switch in place.

also, +12 to the windows make em go up... -12 make them go down.

A simple toggle switch could be used to repair them. I ripped out my entire Doorlock, window electrical system and rewired it to 5 toggles in my dash. Now I have 2 pairs of wires running to each door instead of a 2" thick bundle of insanity.

I replaced my front power actuators with cranks in my '87. Bought the manual actuators at the JY for $25 each. My power actuators were riveted in so I drilled out the old rivets and replaced them with bolts and nylon lock nuts. Tip: With the window down, unbolt the actuator from the glass, then slide the glass back up by hand and tape it to the doorframe to hold it out of the way. Once you drill the rivets out it's just a matter of working the actuator out through the opening in the door.

Last edited:
Any success with this. Im looking to go this route with my 00' because of electrical woes that Im sick of trying to trouble shoot. I would assume you could get everything you need at a bone yard and maybe even not have to pay anything if you offer to trade for you power setup parts. Let me know how you made out.

I have 2000 doors on my MJ that were originally powered. I also wanted to convert to manual windows.

I found a late model donor in the junkyard and grabbed the regulators, door panels, and cranks.

It is a very easy swap to perform. Takes less than an hour. It's much easier on the late model doors as the regulators are bolted in, rather than the rivets used in older models.

I helped a buddy of mines do it once on his jeep and also replaced my stock manual regulators with a new one due to slipping. Id suggest getting a later model regulator like many have said cause it bolts in instead of rivets. All you really have to do is remove the old regulator and slip in the new one and bolt everything in place. We got all 4 on his cherokee done in like an hour and a half. and I got me 2 fronts done in less than 30mins. Depending on the syle of door panel you might be able to just cut a hole for the handles or you might need the ones from the junkyard. Not real sure how the newer panels look like but the old ones you can just cut a hole for it.

I've got a full set of "tan" door panels and a full set of manual regulators(4-door) if you are interested.

Sorry for the hijack but I would love to get these things out of my storage shed!

Back