• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'95 wrangler H.O. into a Renix swap?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal, my engine leaks...a lot. And it seems to leak from pretty much everywhere. Also I'm getting some crummy throttle issues (laggy at moments), start-up is iffy (high idle, and sometime struggles), and overall I'm just neglecting my Renix engine and need to do some work to it. However, my friend has a H.O. I6 out of his '95 wrangler he'll sell me for $450 and we'll install it at his house. His engine runs, doesn't leak, and apparently hasn't had any issues (other than it's been sitting for a year).

With that, in your opinion is it worth the swap? The leaky engine syndrome is mainly what I'm hoping to fix, but an engine that doesn't embarrass me when I start it up at school is a plus too.

Also, what exactly do I need to mod/change to do this swap? Will I have any computer programing issues? And will my power steering pump, water pump, and alternator bolt up?

My understanding is I'll have to use my intake and manifold, and mod the TPS and possibly the fuel lines, is this true?

Before someone flames me, I searched, it appears not many have swapped a H.O. non-OBDII into a renix...but if anyone knows of a write-up, please share.

~Scott

On the contrary, lots of HO 4.0s with low mileage have been put into Renix XJs.

You will basically use the long block and everything else will be from your 89. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is if the HO block has a spot for mounting the knock sensor, but that is a minor thing--tap, or drill and tap, and you should be all set.

On the contrary, lots of HO 4.0s with low mileage have been put into Renix XJs.

You will basically use the long block and everything else will be from your 89. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is if the HO block has a spot for mounting the knock sensor, but that is a minor thing--tap, or drill and tap, and you should be all set.

Well it doesn't have much lower of miles then my current engine, but it doesn't leak.

I believe you meant that the H.O. block doesn't have a knock sensor, but yeah shouldn't be a problem to find a spot for it.

~Scott

Depending on the block, it may/may not have the hole tapped for the knock sensor. Unless you modify the intake/TB to fit the renix TPS and acc. Then you will need to swap your current stuff and sensors over.

Strip the HO down to bare long block and swap all your stuff over including the distributor, accessory mounts,sensors, flexplate/flywheel and manifolds. Use the early intake/exhaust gasket to insure proper sealing.

Just so I'm understanding this correctly...

Instead of doing a couple gaskets and checking grounds/sensors etc., you'd rather swap in a whole new engine?

How about instead checking where your leaks are coming from? I doubt the high idle and laggy throttle issues are engine related, as they sound more engine control related (sensors) as well which won't be fixed by dropping in a new engine.

Back