• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting Hesitation Problem

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Hey Guys,

OK, I'm taking my Uncle to look at a 98 Classic tonight, and it has a weird quirk (what XJ doesn't?)

According to the seller when you 1st turn the jeep on and it's cold, and then start to drive, you need to REV the gas in neutral a couple quick times, or else the Jeep will hesitate and start to die. He said that he has had this checked out 3 times in 3yrs, and every time they could not find anything wrong with the Jeep. Now apprently this is the only time that it does it, and once you rev the gas, that's it, it's fine, even if you need to stop and start again in 20ft.

So any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Todd

crappy tps.

If it always does it, open the hood first, reach in and manually flip the tps lever a couple of times and see if it still does it. If not, it is definately the tps.

old_man said:
crappy tps.

If it always does it, open the hood first, reach in and manually flip the tps lever a couple of times and see if it still does it. If not, it is definately the tps.
Kinda where I was leaning as well, although I thought it could be a few things. I'll just go buy a TPS, for $30 it's a good investment anyway.

BTW is the TPS still on the firewall above #6 in a 98? I'm used to sub 96's

What you are thinking of is the MAP sensor, the TPS is on the throttle body, 180 degrees across from where the throttle linkage hooks up. not sure how much they are for a 98, but for my 87 it was about 85 bucks.

muddygp said:
What you are thinking of is the MAP sensor, the TPS is on the throttle body, 180 degrees across from where the throttle linkage hooks up. not sure how much they are for a 98, but for my 87 it was about 85 bucks.

Ya I was thinking map, it's friday, and I don't wanna be at work. Anyway, I am a dolt, I know where a TPS is =)

Thanks!

Todd

I'd also suspect a slow reacting IAC. It might not be opening quickly enough to idle the motor when it's cold. Might just be gummed up and need a cleaning.

87manche said:
I'd also suspect a slow reacting IAC. It might not be opening quickly enough to idle the motor when it's cold. Might just be gummed up and need a cleaning.

X2

Try squirting some light (penetrating) oil into the IAC opening with the motor running, then repeat. Then repeat as necessary, a couple of times a year.

Back