• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans filter/gasket

kndrewa

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
mine is leaking all around the pan.
so im gonna replace it and got the filter/gasket at NAPA.

any tips for me before i get a red shower this weekend?

Tip #1 - do not trust the NAPA guy's computer!!!!!!!!!!!1

NAPA's parts ref database has the transmission wrong on most of the XJs. If you have an AW-4, ask specifically for ATP number B112, not whatever their computer suggests. Their computer will give you the gasket/filter set for the 3-speed automatic used in earlier XJs and perhaps on 2.5L XJs, not sure on that part and too lazy to look it up.

Tip #2 - if you have trouble with the dipstick tube, spray some penetrating lube in the junction from above and then twist it around a bit. It should pop out with a little persuasion.

Take is SLOW, I have done it a couple times and have had the bolts break.

Its not hard, just go Slow.

If you have time, I would go to a U-Pull and pull another one.. and take the magnet out of it. I have a couple magnets in my pan, just to help keep any metal gunk out of the works.

thanks for the tips guys, i'll let you know how it goes!

(also, thanks for not posting "SEARCH")

i knew i could count on my local pals for a few tips.

because, clearly, i have searched and gained plenty of info.

i just wanted to get info from you guys, too!

As long as it's dex/merc I think you'll be fine. I've been running dexIII in my mj for about 5k miles, since before it was even mine (I was the previous owner's mechanic), and it's doing great. Dexron is "backward compatible" to the best of my knowledge.

Dexron is "backward compatible" to the best of my knowledge.

alright, thats what i had gathered online as well.

my fluid was a bit dark - i had ought to do the poor mans flush and drain it another time or 2.
because now i have just mixed in 4 qts of dexIII with the dexII that was already in the transmission.

it shifts sooooo much smoother - i am really glad i did this.
ill post up some pics, since i had trouble finding any.

(found tons and tons of threads, but mostly all text descriptions without pictures)

I've been using Valvoline Maxlife which is Dex2/3 Compatible and is full synthetic. Had it in for a month now and the transmission shifts as smooth as butter. I did the poor mans flush which has seemed to work well

Back