• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Explorer 8.8?

mateoruiziii

NAXJA Forum User
Did the ford explorer rear end ONLY come in 8.8?
If yes, If I find an explorer at the JY. The rear end should be an 8.8 right?
Yes I do know 95-01 came with disc brakes.

Last edited:
You want one with disc brakes... it'll be a 95/96 or later (not sure which.) If it has disc brakes it has the larger shafts. Also make sure it has the gear ratio you want, and check whether it has limited slip or not.

Napa Online only lists parts for 10 Bolt 8.8 on a 96 Explorer. I wouldn't take this as definitive but I'd say there's a good chance it's the only axle they offered then.

the earlier axles are 28 spline? i thought all the explorer rears were 31 spline?

shatty... i have an 8.8 out of a first gen, that i have yet to put in. ill have to check and see what the spline count is.

Believe what you will, but the first gen used lots of Ranger parts. As I mentioned, I lived in the same house with one and performed all the maintenance myself. It was the smaller shafts.

It is possible to get a Ford Ranger 8.8 rear end with 31 splines. These were specific to the '02 Fx4 model and the '03 to '07 fx4 level II they all had 31 splines, 4.10 gears, and a torsen limited slip. They had drum brakes instead of disc, but they are spring over axle fromt eh factory so no welding is required for install. The axle code for these is R7. It can be found on teh information sticket on the door.

It is possible to get a Ford Ranger 8.8 rear end with 31 splines. These were specific to the '02 Fx4 model and the '03 to '07 fx4 level II they all had 31 splines, 4.10 gears, and a torsen limited slip. They had drum brakes instead of disc, but they are spring over axle fromt eh factory so no welding is required for install. The axle code for these is R7. It can be found on teh information sticket on the door.
reeeeeally... I find this very interesting and might have to go hunting again. What's the WMS-WMS width? What's the center pin to center pin width on the perches? Any idea what the angle between the perches and the pinion is?

I say this because while I just spent quite a bit of time, and no small amount of money, prepping an exploder 8.8, I sure as heck would resell it all at a minor loss in an instant if I can pick up 4.10s and a Torsen for another 130 bucks or so, a minor sunburn, and a pint or two of sweat.

EDIT: the only bit that's really important to me on that is the WMS-WMS width, the rest I can deal with easily enough.

I am not 100% sure but I thought I read that the ranger 8.8s could have had 28 splines.

Cracker the Ranger 8.8's by default had a 28 spline axle, unless it was on the Fx4 Level II trim level, in which case they had a 31 spline.

Kastein finding one of these R7 axles is pretty rare. I live in oregon and the closest one I could find was in Chicago. the easiest way to find one though is to look for "Fx4 Level II" sticker on the bed of the truck. As far as price lets just say I paid more than $130, but I have no fab skills, or tech skills, or tools for that matter and just paying to have my stock axle regeared was more than I paid for the axle. The upside to this is that most wrecking yards don't know what is in the axle, but this also means that to find one you will have to hunt at the yard.

Last edited:
Back