• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 problem

87woody-atl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 wagoneer, with a aw4 with a transfercase (npxx), in December I blew the motor(loss oil pressure) well I got a ho engine from a 96 xj, so after swapping over all the accessories and bolting the "new" engine to my tranny, the jeep starts but doesn't engage any gearbexcepy park, I've cleaned all grounds, cleaned all relays in engine bay, cleaned all harness connections for sensors, replaced tps and adjusted, I've tried removing nss and cleaning and regreasing, and still nothing, also my reverse lights don't work, continutiy was tested on the nss before cleaning, with a failing reading in 3 gear,1 gear and reverse, after (cleaning off tranny) gave passing continuity in all gears, when placed on tranny agian got a failing reading for a second in reverse...
Anyone have any clue what I should try next?
Oh yeah I've pulled the tcu fuse with absolute no change in problem

How's your fluid level? Did you remember to bolt the torque converter to the flywheel? Did you put the torque converter in the tranny then bolt it to the flywheel (right) or vise versa (wrong)?

EDIT: did you make sure the transfer case is in gear? If you got the shift linkage misadjusted it could be in neutral and showing as in gear on the bezel

When I bolted the torque converter up, I bolted it to the flywheel first, don't tell me I got to take that sucker out agian... And yes my tranny fluid is at appt level, I removed the linkage to the transfer case cuz I think my npxx is shot, but I know it's in gear( I think)

When I bolted the torque converter up, I bolted it to the flywheel first, don't tell me I got to take that sucker out agian... And yes my tranny fluid is at appt level, I removed the linkage to the transfer case cuz I think my npxx is shot, but I know it's in gear( I think)

OUCH!

You need to pull the transmission, inspect the torque converter "tabs" that lock into the transmission's front pump, and inspect the front pump. Odds are you have damaged one or the other.

ALWAYS fully seat the torque converter in the transmission before installing the transmission/engine.

I know people who have gotten away with it a few times. Personally I'm way too paranoid to try my luck at it.

I know people who have gotten away with it a few times. Personally I'm way too paranoid to try my luck at it.

ATTENTION--all of you that have gotten away with bone-heading your torque converter to the transmission should go buy a lottery ticket--you are lucky S*Bs!

So how do I know if the torque converter is seated properly, and what should I look for if I've damaged stuff?
Plz b no damage, plz b no damage, plz b no damage....

A quick check to see if the pump's working: check the fluid level engine off, then again running in Park. The level should drop noticeably.

Likely candidates for damage: pump, converter, input shaft. The flexplate might be bent too.

When you pull it back apart, examine the torque converter where it seats into the front of the transmission--cracked, bent, broken?

Examine the front of the transmission where the torque converter seats--that is the pump--cracked, bent, broken?

If it looks good, after a careful examination, then FULLY seat the torque converter in the transmission so that it engages the pump--sometimes standing the transmission on its tail helps. When it "drops" into place you will know it.

Reinstall, and then follow JJacobs advice.

Well I just got done pulling everything back out, and from what I can see there is no damage to the torque converter, I still don't know where I should be looking for the pump, but I looked in the area that Joe peters advised and didn't notice any damage, but... There's always a but... The input shaft has three teeth that have some damage, looks as if the three teeth were pressed down, so what should I do know? There is a pull apart near my place, I'm guessing swapping a input shaft isn't a option??

The pump is in the front of the trans. Remove the bellhousing, then unbolt and remove the front cover. I suspect once you pull the cover and have a look you'll find something broken.

Ive removed the bellhousing, if i remove the four or five bolts that are around the output shaft will that hub just come off, is there any gaaskets that will need to be replaced if i do this?

it's that middle bit that always gets me... if I say "it's just an O-ring, it'll be reusable" it's guaranteed to be dried to a cement like texture and will break if I look at it. So I buy a new seal for everything.

True. I suspect he'd going to find the pump is destroyed and he'll be either looking for parts, or discover that a used tranny is often cheaper.

so i have two sets of gears on the output shaft, one i can rotate(the smaller diameter) and the larger one that i cant move, ive tried putting the tranny in nuetral with to change in results, does this mean the pump is dead?

And do u need to have this special prying tool to get the cover off, ur have y'all figured out another method of removing the plate that surrounds the output shaft?

I believe normally a slide hammer is used for that - seem to recall reading it in the AW-4 factory rebuild manual.

Back