• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad wires?

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So a few months ago I had to revove the tcase on my 99 xj and I guess I was having a bad day... I didn't disconnect the harness befor I pulled it and tugged on the wires a little.... When I put the case back in It:yap: was throwing 2 codes. Rear o2 and speedo sensor. So I pulled the harness and checke the continuity of all the wires in question by it was good. So I don know what to check next. Any
ideas

So i now know that is the engine wiring harness and it's cost from the dealer is over $1000 so I gotta figure this out.... I'm putting the car back together in a few

How did you test the wires? Did you check at each end for continuity to the same color wire? Also check to make sure that there is NO continuity to the other wires that should not have continuity.

How did you test the wires? Did you check at each end for continuity to the same color wire? Also check to make sure that there is NO continuity to the other wires that should not have continuity.

Exactly!

Push come to shove you could make a short jumper harness to bypass any damaged wires--time for the ohm meter.

Ya I did check each wire by color end to end for continuity. Rear 02 and speedo to ecu and all wires have continuity. So what next. What wires shouldn't have continuity?

Your next step might be to clip your ohmmeter to the ends of each wire at the plug and start wiggling and bending things to see if you have an internally broken or torn wire, or a damaged plug. If the wires got stretched, you could have intermittent continuity inside an unbroken jacket, or a damaged internal pin in one of the connectors. If the connectors look all right, and you still can't find a problem, you could try just going ahead with Joe's suggestion. Splice in bypass wires as close to the plugs as you can get, and past where any damage might have occurred. You don't need to cut the old wires, just sister them. Use solder if you can, tape it down good and tight, and it should hold up fine.

Back