• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Speakers Problem....AFTER the FIX.

NewToJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

My 2000 Classic for the last three years has had no sound up front. I've finally decided to change this and this weekend found some helpful threads on the problem.

After some consideration, I thought the easiest way to go would be to just re-wire the front speakers directly into the head unit (stock).

I've run the positives from the front speaker spliced into the stock harness wound the two grounds together and crimped them to the extra tab on the back... next to the ground plug. Works fine when testing with the radio on but...

As soon as you start the engine, the fronts cut off again!! I have to manually pull the head unit out, unplug the harness, then plug it back in again for the fronts to come back on!

So when I turn the key off and back on just the rears work. Unplug harness and plug it back in and all is good....

Could anybody point me in the right direction here?? Did I do wrong by winding the two grounds together or something? Am I missing something??

The "ground" you speak of is actually the negative connection of the audio signal.

Each corner should (And will) have its own Positive and Negative connection from the head unit to each speaker.

Four speakers should have four separate + and - audio connections.

Front Left Positive
Front Left Negative

Front Right Positive
Front Right Negative

Rear Left Positive
Rear Left Negative

Rear Right Positive
Rear Right Negative

Alright,

So I think I get it now; I should take those wound up negatives from each front speaker and splice them into the harness with each FL and FR negative as well?

This is beginning to make a bit more sense to me, I'm gonna go outside and check this right now.

Thanks again, RTFM!

Back