• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wifes 90 xj stalls when light on gas pedal

88klaws88

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to see if anyone would chime in on this problem. As the title says, anytime you are light on the gas pedal ( for instance stuck in traffic and creeping along) the rpms bottom out and the jeep stalls. It will start up right after, doesnt miss or bog while fully depressed. Before the usual chimes come in, I have replaced the TPS, CPS, IAC , O2 sensors, fuel rail and regulator, fuel filter, fuel injectors, ignition coil, alternator, plugs, wires, dist cap , exhaust system ( including the cat) MAP sensor, EGR, NSS ( old 88 was a wonderful donor and all the sensors were tested and working fine that were not new) . Im running out of options here. I still have yet to change out the fuel pump although its new in a box and waiting for the gas to get used up before dropping the tank. Lucky for me the 88 was around and none of these really cost me much other than time and frustration.
I have tried brake torquing it slightly while in gear and she will stall right away. I dont have access to a fuel pressure gauge which is why I just got a new pump ( cant hurt regardless )
The jeep itself has the I6, auto with an AAL 4 inch lift ( thats going to be all changed out soon enough as well with a rubicon lift, assuming I can fix the stalling ) It has no SYE and Im guessing the springs were dead when the PO put the AAL lift on as it rides horribly. However, Im at the point now where if I cant fix this stalling issue im wondering if its worth replacing the suspension at all and just look for another toy for the wife to drive. So anyone have any other ideas I havent considered? Could it be the Torque convertor?? Something binding with the drive shafts?? There is no real banging or knocking when in drive, but its apparent this problem may very well be beyond me.... Any help is very much appreciated.

My friend I think I may owe you a beer..... or a case...... hell possibly several cases. I had already changed out the EGR once, apparently it was either faulty or the vaccuum leading to it isnt what it should be. I took your advice and disconnected it, took it for a quick spin around the block and no stall!!!! tried a couple brake torques and no stall, hooked it back up, tried a couple more torques and she stalled out, ran rough, disconnected and tried a couple more ( for scientific research of course, nothing to do with watching the stones fly out to the alley ) and all good. so im guessing its time to see if its the vaccuum pressure or the valve itself. Quick question though, am I good to leave the vac line off for the time being or should i reconnect and bide my time until further testing? Only reason I ask is because its the wifes jeep and she has to work tomorrow?

You can crimp off or disconnect the egr without any real consequences. Of course for emissions you should get it fixed, but you'll likely notice no difference in driving. In theory the egr will cool the combustion temp at part throttle, and may help reduce knock, but the knock sensor will take over.

Back