• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Needed in Removing Track Bar Nut

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
.....because that ball joint just keeps spinning!

I have a new track bar ready to go into my 88XJ, however I can't loosen the castle nut holding the bar to the mounting bracket. It appears that the entire ball joint is spinning (with little to no resistance) when I turn the castle nut. I've tried using a pickle fork between the bracket and boot, pulling down on it in hopes of exerting enough resistance to break the castle nut free to no avail. I've thought of taking the bracket off with the bar, but that might take away any leverage I have in separating the two. Does anyone have ideas of how I can loosen/remove the castle nut on a spinning ball joint? Maybe a hack saw (as last resort) to cut through the stud shaft just under the mounting bracket?

Try to push the track bar up into the bracket, not away. Lock the tapers together. Worst case you could always pull the bracket completely and use an impact gun on it.

Thanks! That did the trick. I used a hydraulic jack to lift up an the track bar near the differential and it tightened the tapered ends enough to loosen the castle nut. Why I didn't think of that initially, I don't know. :doh:

Speaking of Zerks, I have another bonehead question. The new track bar is a $36 bar from Advanced Auto that came with the Zerk fitting in a separate plastic bag. I would assume that the new track bar has some level of pre-greasing in it. Do I need to add any more grease prior to assembly and torquing, or does it just need "topping off" after assembly? :dunno:

Back