• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Writeup - Overhead Mounting of Uniden ProXL520 CB Radio

CaliGold

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a new Uniden ProXL520 CB in my heep, and since this radio model is popular with the XJ crowd, I thought some of you guys may want to try this.
intropic.jpg

My rig is a 97 with keyess remote so it had a plastic cover between the visors. Since I have an aftemarket alarm, I removed the cover and the receiver module inside it. Here's what it looks like after removing the plastic cover and keyless remote module.

hole.jpg

You can see the power connector and the antenna coax. I routed these up thru the passenger side a-pillar and roof to this location.

If you don't have this gaping hole in your rig, it would be very easy to cut a smaller hole to pass these cables thru. What I want to emphasize is that there is a beam near the front of the headliner that will easily support the weight of a small CB radio like this Uniden. Follow along as I fabricate a nifty bracket to mount my CB radio in this spot.

The materials I used are 1" wide .120 wall for the "U" bracket and 1.25" wide .120 wall for the bracket arm. I picked these up at the OSH hardware store, and used a vise and plastic hammer to make my bends.

brackets.jpg

After cutting and bending, I welded the two pieces together but will be fine joined with fasteners also.

awelded.jpg

Final check fit before painting.

checkfit.jpg

And painted.

paintedempty.jpg

I should have mentioned it before, but make sure you leave a little room for wires and coax at the back of the radio to the opening in the headliner. Also, I decided to use button head socket cap screws to mount the radio to the U bracket for a cleaner look and to make it harder for thieves.

passthrubuttonheadpainted.jpg

And here it is finished.

finished.jpg

Let me mention that if your XJ did not have this cover for keyless entry, you can screw the bracket that came with the radio directly thru the headliner into the support beam, but the radio will be located a bit more forward, but just make sure you hit the support beam with the screws. I coudn't do this because the opening would show and look bad so I had to make a bracket that mounted the radio to cover the hole.

And here's my antenna mount.

antenna.jpg

Thanks John.
:cheers:

Very nice, cleanly done. I have always had a question for anyone who mounts their cb there though. Does the mic cord swing around and slap you in he face off road or on road while driving?

Thanks. The cord has never caused me issues enough for me to even think about it. When I drive on the street, I keep the mike cord in front of the mirror though.
Haven't been slapped yet (at least not by the mike cord).

Looks good man, only thing I would change if it were me was the angle on the brackets you made.

Depending on your height and what not, it appears it could be a bit more difficult to adjust and view with how it faces.

Looks good man, only thing I would change if it were me was the angle on the brackets you made.

Depending on your height and what not, it appears it could be a bit more difficult to adjust and view with how it faces.

What he said. I'm tall, and I wanted to mount mine as far forward as possible. So, I mounted mine in between the sunvisors.

1104080833.jpg

The angle of the bracket was to cover up the hole and make it flush to the roof. Besides, I don't need to look at the radio after the channel's set. I only use it for offroad and caravans, usually on one channel.

Also a big plus to having it mounted overhead is that you get the best sound output from the speaker.

Renegade Stang, you might be able to ditch that alum piece and mount directly to the beam for a cleaner install if you don't mind holes in your headliner.

Back