• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator + POR15.. would it help?

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
Radiators for the 2.1 diesel are kinda rare and expensive so i was thinking maybe i could treat it with something like POR15 to hopefully make it last a bit longer..

Would it work at all?

you mean on the fins themselves? depending on the viscosity paint, id think coating them would not only reduce the ability for cool air to penetrate the row/s but also highly demean the heat exchange (an overcoating on the fins could end up acting as an insulator)

if anything go with a light coat of black heat resistant spray-on. or check out this http://www.eastwood.com/ew-radiator-black-12oz-satin-finish.html

food for thought: your main concern is rust right? if youre set on trying to find a way to prevent this, would applying something like WD40 onto it (say monthly?) might help?

Last edited:
Yes, i've got one that's corroded to death and a replacement that probably won't last too long either. A new radiator is $3-400 around here with max discount.

WD40 or similar products might be a better idea, thanks.

ATF applied from a squirt bottle or brush would probaby be better than WD40, as it would leave a coating on the metal longer than the WD40.

This thread "died" with using WD-40 and ATF as radiator coating, both of which are insulators.

Not too mention looking for dodgy ways to patch up one of the most critical components of a motor vehicle ... instead of fixing the thing properly ..... :rolleyes:

Still .... he was in Norway .... and overheating shouldnt be too much of an issue there .... :laugh:

btw ... much better to resurrect an old thread IMHO ... Saves someone searching through yet another thread on the same topic.

In case anyone cares : I did go with the radiator-paint from Eastwood. I had a replacement radiator with some worn fins that looked tired overall so i cleaned it up real well and painted it black. Looks good so far and the coating should help keep it alive a bit longer..

The main issue isn't cooling a few degrees more or less but preserving the radiator and keeping it from leaking. The tear from salted winter roads is pretty harsh round here..

Where i live we're about as close to the n-pole as southern Alaska is :D Still gets pretty hot in the summer tho.

Back