• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np231 - Reassembly - Help!

talentjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I've taken it apart and put it back together three times now. I've lubed everything with engine assembly grease. I've double checked and re-checked. Everything looks good. The snap rings are in, everything turns and is tightened up the only mod was I switched out for a '95 23-Spline input / upper (solid piece) shift fork into a '87 21-spline np231/.

I get it to shift but i tried rotating the front output shaft while shifting to see if it would assist since it wasn't ever slipping into neutral fully...now it's stuck. last two times i had it together it wouldn't shift at all.

does anyone have any special tricks? any helpful links? i've stared at the exploded diagram for hours with no luck. i must be doing something wrong and I know if anyone knows...you NAXJA folks know...

thanks.

p.s. that is part #2 and part #28 from this http://globaldrivetrainparts.com/image/np231-transfer-case-parts.gif

So I've taken it apart and put it back together three times now. I've lubed everything with engine assembly grease. I've double checked and re-checked. Everything looks good. The snap rings are in, everything turns and is tightened up the only mod was I switched out for a '95 23-Spline input / upper (solid piece) shift fork into a '87 21-spline np231/.

I get it to shift but i tried rotating the front output shaft while shifting to see if it would assist since it wasn't ever slipping into neutral fully...now it's stuck. last two times i had it together it wouldn't shift at all.

does anyone have any special tricks? any helpful links? i've stared at the exploded diagram for hours with no luck. i must be doing something wrong and I know if anyone knows...you NAXJA folks know...

thanks.

p.s. that is part #2 and part #28 from this http://globaldrivetrainparts.com/image/np231-transfer-case-parts.gif

Is the rear output yolk on when you are testing it?

The main shaft has to be pulled towards the back of the case a little in order for that neutral noise not to exist (it is when the rear yolk is installed)

it is completely reassembled. i don't have the rear or front driveshaft installed but everything else is put together. i've even tried putting it on the trans and spinning the trans input in 1st while trying to shift.

Sounds funny.

I am sorry but this is hard to diagnose not being there.

If the t-case is out of the vehicle I have found that if you have it sitting on the workbench, it has to be sitting the way it does in the vehicle to work correctly. By that I mean you cant have it sitting with the shafts vertical, they have to be horizontal otherwise it just doesn't work right. Another possibility is the dog gear can be put on backwards.

i will try levelling it out. i wondered about that.

dog gear?

The large sleve on the larger pickle fork that goes on the main shaft. It can be put on wrong (opposite way).

(part #23 on your diagram but it should be assembled as one piece).

i was trying to figure out which way in went when i re-assembled...is it longer side towards the front output or towards the rear output? (the length of the collar from the shift fork groove)

the "tapered" end of the dog gear goes toward the front of the case, the side with the step in it after the shift fork groove is toward the back of the case.

Back