• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft to long?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I just tried installing a IRO hack and tap on my 98 XJ. Auto, 231, 8.25 rear. When we measured the ~33" from the rear yoke, it put us at the end of the splines, with far less than 1" left. So we threw the front driveshaft into the rear yoke, and with it fully compressed it will just fit with maybe 1" of spline for the upper yoke. Am I doing something wrong here, or will it just not work with this combo? I have a message in with IRO to see if they have any ideas but I figured I would check with all the experts here, too.

I haven't cut anything yet. I got the full kit, and seems as though the driveshaft is to long. Meaning with the slip shaft fully collapsed, it would go from the rear yoke to the front yoke if you cut off every available bit of output shaft you could. Problem being that it will be fully collapsed, so thats no good. Its the same length as my front driveshaft, if that means anything.

you have to cut the output shaft on the t/c to there measurments and tap for new threads to bolt the new yoke on ! i think the end of the cut shaft has to measure 33" to the yoke on the axle ? !

Yes, I know I have to hack the shaft off. And tap the threads to bolt the yoke on. I know I have a Hack and tap kit.

My concern is that the front driveshaft is to long even with the shaft cut off retaining the minimum 1" of spline. How much slip shaft would need to be exposed on the driveshaft for there to be enough room for suspension compression?

if you have a 231 t/c and follow the instructions and are using the iro driveshaft everything should be fine ? inch or so should be plenty on the driveshaft ?

I've seen kits where iro sent the wrong shaft. Their products seem to be top notch it but it seems like every once in a shaft from another model makes into their rebuild pile. Measure the shaft compressed and expanded and call them up and have them compare it to others in stock. Happened to a friend of mine and they sent him a replacement asap.

Nobody is in yet. I do know that compressed its the same length as the front in my 98.
Seems as though if I have 1/2-1" of compression left I should be ok, Ill have to go remeasure it today while I can focus on that and not the gear install.
Whats strange Ive only ever read of driveshafts being too short from manual XJs or going on a d35. This is supposed to be the winning combo.

I installed the IRO H&T on a friends XJ with Aw-4, Np-231, D44 using the IRO instructions, the stock drive shaft (front) slip yoke was too compressed. We trimmed another 3/4 off the T-case output shaft (resulting in 1" of spline) and then trimmed the IRO yoke 3/4" so that it fit flush on the end of the tapped T-case output shaft.

Some front drive shafts are up to 1/2" longer or shorter than others even when they all have the exact same part number tag on them. Around here, you can have a DS lengthened or shortened for about $75.

Check here - http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF - you might find another JEEP front DS that fits better.

Well Im going to check again to mke sure Im doing it right. If so, Im going to trim the output shaft to 1" of spline, trim the yoke to fit, and cut the welds to shorten the driveshaft if needed. Gotta love the consistency of parts from jeep.

This picture is on the tape held at the center of the rear ujoint. Should be cutting the output at 33 3/4". As you can see that would be past the splines of the shaft.
Tape.jpg

This one shows where the driveshaft would fall if it was FULLY collapsed.
Driveshaft.jpg

Strange, looks like I will be shortening my driveshaft.

u might have gotten one meant for a d35. i cant push IRO products enough! good quality and GREAT customer service. but everyone makes mistakes and u might have the wrong shaft. call them and they will rectify the situation asap. prolly pay all shipping too. great ppl over there

Ive talked to them, they have no suggestions other than send it back for a refund. Im just going to cut as short as I can, and use the yoke they sent. Then shorten the DS.

Note that the measurement is for an 8.24/d44 so even if the driveshaft was wrong even the cut length in the directions is wrong. Even though tons of other people have cut just like with success. Is there any way my xj could be short somehow? :dunno:

~5" a combo of factory springs and a 3" AAL and 1.75" lift shackle.

Back