• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny help/ buying advice

Chip32

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help/advice. I'm looking at a 1992 Cherokee with a 96 AW4 transmission swap, the owner says that the 92 computer is causing the tranny to shift too fast and so it bogs down. So he has the comp unhooked and he manually shifts the tranny. Any easy fix or advice for that? would it be worth buying? also the speedo cable is not hooked up (owner thought it was electronic...i dont know so advice here too) Oh and here's the rest of the info on the jeep
"I have a 1992 Jeep cherokee with a 4.0 inline six Back by a 96 auto tranny. Also the transfer case has a slipyoke eliminator kit already installed with a custom driveshift. It has a chrysler 8 1/4 with a Dana Tru Trac Locker installed. Also it has power windows and locks a safari roof rack and a dickcpeck light bar with 4 kc daylighters installed. also it has a 2inch lift with customcut fenders and a 5 black rock crawl rims a set of 32x11.50x15 tires. The interior is ingood shape besides not haveing carpet."

Hes asking like 1900 but they way he acted he would take less...advice please.
Thanks in advance

Could be TPS, throttle pressure cable adjustment, solenoids, wiring harness.

Have you driven it?

Well, you won't be able to do a lot of testing on it so about all you could do is confirm the the trans problem is electrical and not mechanical/hydraulic.

With the TCU unplugged (or the 10 amp fuse pulled), you should get 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral, and park. If those all work, then the transmission problem is electrical in nature--TPS/pressure cable/solenoids/wiring/NSS/TCU.

the owner said he manually shifts it now with the ecu unplugged, so i assume its not mechanical....would you think this is a good buy with the current problems?

I'd start by verifying that it's really a 96 tranny and not a 98. 98+ had a different output speed sensor that pulsed 4x per revolution instead of 1x revolution. Having transplanted a 99 into an 89, I can vouch that this causes the tranny to upshift at 1200 rpm and be in 4th gear by 20 mph. Have a look at the drivers side of the tranny, mid-way up, near the bellhousing. If it has a front input sensor (probably not connected) then it's a 98+ tranny.

Now it could be a wiring or TPS issue. If he's been shifting manually, then its been without t/c lockup which would make the tranny run hotter.

That said, $1900 is way high. Blue book is only about $1000. With the mods, upgrades, tranny problem I wouldn't offer more that $1250 myself.

Thanks for the help,and it probably is a 98+ since he said the speedometer/odometer doesn't work, i might offer him 1200, its pretty far to drive just to look. If it is a 98+ tranny would it be really tough to get it working right in it?

Assuming its a 4wd, the speedo comes off the xfer case. Getting a 98+ to work with the 92 trans computer isn't impossible. Easiest method is having a 92 AW4 donor to swap the rotor and sensor over. Harder would be fabbing up an electronic adapter (what I did - see http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1021599 about mid-way down). There are also some writeups on here for making a manual shifter that uses a joystick.

Back