• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking inside the dash

BlueWeasel

NAXJA Forum User
I've been recently hearing a clicking like a relay sound coming from below or behind the instrument cluster/steering wheel. Only does it when vehicle is in motion, clicks every 8-10 seconds or so and quits when the vehicle comes to a stop. I can't find it since i have to stop the vehicle to find it. Driving me nuts, has anyone else had this happen? Its a 1993 XJ 4.0/auto/231.

I've been recently hearing a clicking like a relay sound coming from below or behind the instrument cluster/steering wheel. Only does it when vehicle is in motion, clicks every 8-10 seconds or so and quits when the vehicle comes to a stop. I can't find it since i have to stop the vehicle to find it. Driving me nuts, has anyone else had this happen? Its a 1993 XJ 4.0/auto/231.

Could be related to speedo...? Is the speedo correct?

do you have enemies ?

I wouldnt drive around in a jeep that has a tick, tick, tick ...

I know this probably sounds stupid, but it's not your key fob (or some other part of your key chain) hitting your steering column is it?

Maybe moisture or water in a relay? I've had that before. You might try unplugging one relay at a time and see if it changes anything. Just do them one at a time so you don't get them mixed up. They all have similar bases but the pinouts on the flasher and the defrost timer are entirely different and incompatible.

93 still have a mechanical speedo? See if there's a cable going up to the cluster, they have been known to have issues.

If it's an electrical speedo, who knows. Literally the only difference between stopped and moving is going to be the vss signal and that doesn't go through any relays that I'm aware of.

Put the rear up on jack stands and see if the noise is there.

If it is, then you can get up under the dash and try and locate the exact source--I recommend using a vinyl tube 3' long with one end stuck in your ear to help isolate the sound.

Maybe moisture or water in a relay? I've had that before. You might try unplugging one relay at a time and see if it changes anything. Just do them one at a time so you don't get them mixed up. They all have similar bases but the pinouts on the flasher and the defrost timer are entirely different and incompatible.

Defrost Timer?? I have recently removed the A/C, could be it.

Is it the weird vacuum check valve on the passenger side of the firewall?

Are you thinking the EVAP purge solenoid? It should still cycle when not moving.

Mine has a similar clicking noise from behind/inside the dash. Sounds more like a lifter tick, but inside the car.

My ladyfriend has long ago decided that my jeep will eventually blow up, and the sound it the clock ticking :eyes:

Are you thinking the EVAP purge solenoid? It should still cycle when not moving.
Not present on a 93 anyway.

I think I missed the moving bit though in the original post, and my suggestion of a relay was not very useful.

But I wonder about cruise control. The only Jeep I've had with cruise was the 87 and that was broken, but it occurs to me that this might be something to check.

A frequency of once every 8-10 seconds is pretty strange. The only other thing I can think of down there that's road speed related would be the speedometer or the odometer. I'd try checking if the frequency of the click coincides in any way with the turning of the odometer. Perhaps a binding trip odo button, or something like that.

Well I got it up on stands, and listened to it in drive, and zeroed in on the gauge cluster. Could feel the click in the Trip Meter post. So I get up from the floor and reset the trip meter and no more click! Damnedest thing, and I still don't know why.

Back