• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant gauge sending unit part #?

docboy209

NAXJA Forum User
I got a friend with a '96 4.0L. His coolant temp gauge isn't working. It's got 12V at the one wire connector, but an open circuit through the sensor. Does anyone know the OE part number for the sending unit. NOT the one in the thermostat housing, the one on the left rear corner of the head. I called my friend at the dealer where I used to work, but he can only find a listing for the one in the thermostat housing. He looked all the way back to '93. Same at NAPA.

You're welcome!

Testing wiring and IP gauge-
"With connector wire disconnected (open) ign on, = gauge reads lowest. Short wire to ground = gauge reads highest."
ign off.

-correct sensor has white connector.
-no thread sealer (grounds thru threads.)

Good Luck

(Around $12 each-??)

You're welcome!

Testing wiring and IP gauge-
"With connector wire disconnected (open) ign on, = gauge reads lowest. Short wire to ground = gauge reads highest."
ign off.

-correct sensor has white connector.
-no thread sealer (grounds thru threads.)

I have had good luck using RTV copper (a small amount!) on the threads of self-grounding sensors - the key is to not use much at all. I do believe that RTV copper is an actual copper-bearing sealer, while PTFE is a firm insulator (as are most other silicone sealants.)

Good Luck

(Around $12 each-??)

That price sounds about right for a "hurry-up local pickup" - if you're not in a hurry, you can usually find them online for somewhat less. Shipping can rapidly make up the difference, unless you decide to order a batch of other spare parts (usually sensors) at the same time. Then you can come out ahead!

dont forget that the gauge TSU is on the back of the block... and the one thats used for the computer is on the front.

i got mine mixed up when i first started fixing a list of minor problems.

Back