• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveplate Bolt Tourque rating

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
tried serching but cant find the tourque ratinf for the driveplate bolts, i need em for the 6 crank bolts and 4 tc bolts, thanks

tried serching but cant find the tourque ratinf for the driveplate bolts, i need em for the 6 crank bolts and 4 tc bolts, thanks

Check the Tech Archives on my site - torque specs up there are from FSMs, and are consistent year-to-year (I don't have all years of FSM yet.) Link in sig.

CRITICAL - Make sure to use LocTite #242 (or equivalent) on the screws. It's also advisable to use new screws - but don't get them at the local. Most hardware stores don't carry "place bolts" - which are a special design to hold a high shear load by using tension. You can get them from speed shops, and most "Farm & Fleet" shops, however. The six flexplate-to-crankshaft screws are 1/2"-20x1/2", and the four torque converter-to-flexplate screws are M10-1.5x15m/m, as I recall.

Again, note that these are place bolts and not standard hex head capscrews! I've ordered the flexplate-to-crankshaft screws from ARP, they have a Pontiac-oriented kit that works well. I don't recall the kit's part number, but the screws are 1/2"-20x.590", six pieces.

I haven't located a suitable replacement for the torque converter retaining screws yet, but they're under about a third to half as much of a tension load as the six at the centre.

If you're reusing screws, clean the threads using a wire wheel, then apply new LocTite. Note that one hole in the centre pattern will likely be offset slightly, this is done to "locate" the flexplate and orient it to the crankshaft, so you can get a valid and useful CKP signal. Expect this, and only install one screw finger tight until you verify alignment. Install the other screws, then remove the first one to apply threadlocker and torque to spec.

got all new screws, i did get the pontiac arp screws from summit, there actually slightly longer then stock screws so ive gotta chase the threads to clean em up, the tc screws i got from chrysler parts direct(they already come with thrad locker on them) i did pick up some thread locker today for the crank screws, thanks for the tips

96 FSM --Flywheel to converter housing-28 Ft lbs
Flywheel to Crankshaft bolts -- 105 ft lbs
Starter mounting bolts- 33 ft lbs

Wayne

96 FSM --Flywheel to converter housing-28 Ft lbs
Flywheel to Crankshaft bolts -- 105 ft lbs
Starter mounting bolts- 33 ft lbs

Wayne
thats what i got from the old chiltons manual, cant find anything on 5-90's site for a aw4, i do em to 50 then to 105 to avoidwarping the driveplate, thanks

Back