• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove fender ground screw?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the process of upgrading to 5-90s battery cables and I managed to break the thingy holding the fender ground screw in place, so now it and the screw just spin freely. How can I get this off now?

Any appropriate size bolt in the area you can reach that is mounted to the metal unibody. Strip the area down to bare metal and treat it with an anti-corrosion material--any hardware/paint store.

Me, I'd Dremel the bolt apart and replace it with a SS bolt and nuts, or just drill a new hole for the SS hardware.

Would any bolt near that area work?

Certainly! You'll also want to clean the contact patch between the lug and the chassis down to bare metal and apply a corrosion inhibitor on reassembly - you can usually find something that will work at your local hardware store. (Grounding through paint is silly - I don't know why OEMs do it.)

Do not use "liquid electrical tape", do not use WD-40! Use a proper corrosion inhibitor, akin to Gardner-Bender's "Ox-Gard".

Since you've broken the OEM screw, you can just move an inch in any convenient direction to reattach. I'd use about a #10 or #12 sheetmetal screw (preferably CRES - Corrosion RESistant alloy. "Stainless Steel" was originally a trademarked phrase...) and have a washer under the head to ensure contact between the screw and ring lug.

You've run into a difficulty, but it's certainly not insurmountable. I've seen considerably worse!

Something had to happen to make this easy install become more difficult, just like how I broke 3 out of 4 rear bump stop bolts.

Back