• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Cylinders

HossHoffer

NAXJA Forum User
Help, I've changed the clutch master and slave cylinders twice already in the last two years and purged the fluid several times. Now they are trashed again. I was told that these things were crap but I didn't think they would be this bad. Is there an aftermarket brand for these things or something else I can adapt? I need something that will last me though Moab! '85 5 speed 2.5l.

I bought one from O'Rileys and it is suppose to be lifetime warranty.

However, I was noted on an earlier post that you should really go to the dealer for the setup as a lot of people have had troubles.

By the way, do you know if it is the master or the slave? If it is the slave, then you could just buy a spare. Also, did you replace the hose, could be you have a leak as it is just plastic after all.

Tom Dennis

I took both cylinders out of the XJ and the slave looks to be ok. But the master has those aluminum shavings like they all get. I can rebuild the slave no problem as I've got it out already and I've honed and polished the cylinder. The master is a different story. I'm not sure how much I can safely hone out to true the cylinder. It will probably just do the same thing in a few months and I'll find the aluminum sludge in the bottom of the resevoir again. Is there anyone who makes a steel replacement? Note: The slave is steel.

Back