• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Clutch question

georger

NAXJA Forum User
2001 4.0 auto, 124k miles.

Question is, when my XJ idles for any amount of time, I hear my AC clutch click in and out, with the AC off. The AC works normally, but should the clutch engage when the AC is off? I also get some squeal from the belt on long idles when the engine is warm. I replaced the belt last year and have adjusted to the proper tension, I don't want to over tighten it.

The A/C cycling on its own is perfectly normal. For the belt try some belt spray, or just give it a hair more tension. Have you checked the belt for glazing?

Thanks, good to know. I'll try the spray. No glazing that I can see.

How did you "check proper tension"? New belts stretch. You likely need to tighten it up. Forget the spray.

As per the Haynes manual on amount of deflection, for whatever that's worth. I may check into a NAPA gauge that I read about here someplace.

Yeah, deflection adjustment and spitting into the wind, pretty much the same thing.

Gates Kriket II number 91132 (NOT the Krikit I); new belt 180~200 ft lbs, used belt (any belt after 15 minutes operation) 140~160 ft lbs.

If your HVAC controls are set to "defrost" the a/c compressor will cycle on and off, probably what is happening to you.

If the belt was not set to the proper tension when new, it may have become "glazed".

Back