• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIBRATION IN 99 XJ AFTER LIFT

bayhunter

NAXJA Forum User
DID A 2" RUSTYS lift on my 99 XJ and have a driveline vibration. I have a slight vibration around 25 - 35 mph and a vibration at 50 - 60 mph wich feels like an un- balanced tire.(they are balanced and tried another set up front). My question is can the front shaft vibration be that bad to cause it to feel that way? I will be trying the quick fix , a T CASE drop. Will this help? U-JOINTS are good.

DID A 2" RUSTYS lift on my 99 XJ and have a driveline vibration. I have a slight vibration around 25 - 35 mph and a vibration at 50 - 60 mph wich feels like an un- balanced tire.(they are balanced and tried another set up front). My question is can the front shaft vibration be that bad to cause it to feel that way? I will be trying the quick fix , a T CASE drop. Will this help? U-JOINTS are good.
t-case drop will work but use it as a band-aid and not a permanent solution.

They can come from the front as well.

I've had some decent vibes come from a front shaft with a bad slip joint.

true, but why would you add a transfercase drop for a front shaft vib as the OP is concidering after doing a lift.

Yes its up front at 50 -60 mph, feels like a tire out of balance. Could the front slip joint be the problem?I do have a good vibe from 25 to 35 mph.

Took shaft out and still had 25-40 mph vibe and feeling of un balanced tire up front @50-60 mph. Put T case drop in and cured low speed vibration. Higher speed 50- 60 mph , i still have the unbalanced tire feel. any ideas on what it could be?

Are you SURE the rear u-joints are good?
When I did a BB on my '99 I got a vibe too.
Thought my joints were good, the shaft was SOLID.
Was real smooth before the lift.
Pulled the shaft to take a look at the joints and they were ALL F'ed up.
Actually had eaten away half the stud thinngy that the bearings roll on under the cap.
Nothing but dust.

angle finder. you can get a decent needle type at a hardware store for around 10 bucks. if youre running the stock rear driveshaft (1 ujoint at each end) the axle pinion should match or be within 1 degree of the slip yoke on the tcase. double cardan (2 up top 1 on the bottom) rear pinion should match driveshaft angle. just measure off the yokes. some good info here: http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Back