• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just ordered my Ironman LCA's

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
Just ordered my Ironman Adjustable LCA's yesterday. They can't get here soon enough. They are the most expensive upgrade in me trying to fix the death wobble. But hopefully the easiest upgrade. Bolt out and bolt in.

Question you guys. Since the truck is lifted 2" do I need to extend the LCA 1" beyond stock?

No,
I hope you’re not just guessing and throwing parts at it because I doubt stock control arms on only 2 inches of lift will cause you DW, unless they are just totally shot.

Lift...........Lower Control .............Upper Control
...............Arm Length ................Arm Length
................Decimal--Fraction.....Decimal--Fraction

Stock........15.75.......15 ¾........15.00.......15
2”.............15.92.......16............14.88.... ...15
3”.............16.09.......16............14.92.... ...15
4”.............16.33.......16 3/8......15.03.......15
4.5”..........16.47.......16 ½........15.11.......15
5”.............16.62.......16 5/8......15.21.......15 ¼
6”.............16.97.......17............15.44 ... ...15 ½

I don't suspect that only 2" of lift caused the DW. But it combined with 11 year old dry-rotted bushings on everything, combined with a 11 year old steering stabilizer all contribute to the issue.

Since the 2" lift will only grow larger over the years, I figured I would go to the adjustable LCA's now. Even if the 1/4" length doesn't make a lot of difference. It does make a difference. The track bar length probably has more to do with alignment than anything.

Thanks for the chart!

Death wobble with only a 2" lift would most likely be trackbar play at the mounts, control arm play or worn bushings, axle caster out of alignment, or tie-rod play.

To solve my deathwobble at 7" lift on a 1992 I found these issues:
-Checked control arm bushings for wear and cracking. I ordered new set of adjustable UCAs from ironmanfab4x4.
-Checked to make sure control arms are near to parallel with the ground. I had to order control arm drop brackets from rough country.
-Check trackbar for loose mounts or any play (upper and lower mounts). I ordered a double shear HD trackbar mount and bar from ironrockoffroad.
-Check that axle caster is within spec (May have to order adjustable control arms)
-Stock hollow tie-rod just sucks. I went to the junkyard and pulled a solid V8 ZJ rod.
-Tires were shot. I picked up a set of 32x11.5 BFG ATs at Americas Tire.
-Steering Stabilizer. I went to Schucks and picked up an oversized Rancho bolt-in stabilizer.
I also currently run Bilstein 5100s and I like to believe that they sort of help too.

Well, the LCA's are here. Man, they are beefy! Definitely heavy duty. Just have to find time to get them installed. Wife isn't pushing for the install like she was, now that I rotated the tires and put the better tires on the front and got rid of the DW.

Back