• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 xj options

DraVen

NAXJA Forum User
ok hi.. im new here and i just bought a 85 cherokee cheif and i need to know what im dealing with.... like what tranny, front/rear axles....what i can do to/with it.... "

thanks

if you really want to know what youre hardware is take it to a dealership and give them the VIN number theyll print you off a sheet of your options, even paint codes and everything youd ever need to know, and best part is theres no guessing between similar models they give you your hardware optoins for your jeep. give it a try

bigsky89 said:
if you really want to know what youre hardware is take it to a dealership and give them the VIN number theyll print you off a sheet of your options, even paint codes and everything youd ever need to know, and best part is theres no guessing between similar models they give you your hardware optoins for your jeep. give it a try
Good luck trying..AMC-era XJs don't give good results with that.

There's an FAQ at the top of the Tech Forums - check it out for some good info, but the link that serialphreak used will have a lot of the info you're looking for as well as pics to help ID the axles. You've got a D30 up front and almost certainly a D35 in the rear. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html

That reminds me - I saw a beat-up, nasty old blue Woody XJ yesterday in Castle Rock. Had new temp tags on it, so they just bought the oil-stained POS, but I noticed as I passed that the rear axle was a D44. Probably doubled the value of the rig, and I wonder if the owner has a clue what they have.

(Edited because I realized the OP asked about an '85, not an '87)

Last edited:
DraVen said:
ok hi.. im new here and i just bought a 85 cherokee cheif and i need to know what im dealing with.... like what tranny, front/rear axles....what i can do to/with it.... "

thanks
Tranny wil be either a ax-4 or ax-5 if manual, maybe a t-5 but have not seen one in an xj yet. Auto will be a 904. the axles will be a D30/D35 with either 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10 gears.

DraVen said:
2.8 and auto...

2.8: drive the p!ss out of it and throw it away... (either the whole rig, or just the engine, depending on your wrenching ability and desire to lose all touch with reality...)

Back