• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accident

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I was just in a car accident morning with my XJ and a Honda Civic. I was driving in a straight line and she hit me at an angle merging into my lane. Her right front tire hit my left front tire. I was doing a little over 50 mph. My XJ drove up over her tire and fender and at the same time hit the curb on right side. It was a hard up and down impact. Anyway, the tops of tires are now leaned in, the left more than the right. I know the camber isn't adjustable, so other than a bent axle, what could it be?

Most likely bent upper arms on the inner Cs. Hundred bucks at the scrapyard will pull you a new d30, throw it in and get an alignment or driveway align it yourself.

I think unit bearings would probably result in wobbling wheels though I guess it could cause this... maybe broken balljoints like Shorty said, but you'd notice the wheels clunking and flopping around and screwy steering.

Smashed balljoints, or unit bearing hubs, would make it almost undrivable, I'd think. Ian might have a bent C, see bent axle.

Unfortunately, while we might be able to do a pretty good job of setting toe-in, and caster, in a driveway, checking camber is another story. I'd get it up on an alignment rack to have that checked.

Ian, that sounds like you had a pretty good ride this morning. Hope you're all right. Shelby Township... just north of Muskegon?

Even thought the steering is about 20 degrees to the right to make it drive straight, it tracks straight, no wobble, no noises. The only damage I can see is the upper sway bar end link bushings on both sides are detroyed from the impact. I'm taking it this afternoon to be put on the alignment rack to figure this out.

Actually Shelby Township just north of Detroit. And I'm ok. I had my seatbelt on and my head still hit the roof.

THAT Shelby Township..... right over the armpit of the state. :D

Ouch.... even with your seatbelt on, you still ricocheted off the roof? May I gently suggest that you might consider having your neck checked out?

Back