• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 planetary upgrade question

metalman

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone tried drilling out the extra three planetary dimples in a later style planetary set and throwing in the gears from another 3 gear planetary to make a 6 gear. Really I guess my question here is has anyone drilled the holes and any issues they had in doing so? did you use a hss bit or a carbide coated.

Last edited:
I do plan on getting a couple things from jb, but there is no way I'm going to pay 250 (not bad though, I have seen others asking for 450!!!) for an upgraded planetary, when I could buy a complete t case, drill my planetary cage myself for free, add the gears, and then still have almost an entire t case worth of spare parts and have 175$ left in my pocket, no thanks

I do plan on getting a couple things from jb, but there is no way I'm going to pay 250 (not bad though, I have seen others asking for 450!!!) for an upgraded planetary, when I could buy a complete t case, drill my planetary cage myself for free, add the gears, and then still have almost an entire t case worth of spare parts and have 175$ left in my pocket, no thanks

This would make a heck of a good write up, if you decide to do it.

not a problem for the write up

next question I have though, I'm realizing that this 95+ np231 is going to have the medium 23 spline input shaft, and I'm going to need the short version to go behind a pre95 ax15, so does anyone know if I can just cut the right amount off the sleeve/input of the 95+ np231 or is the bore of the input actually deeper on the short version as well, unfortunately because I'm using a newer transfer case I can't reuse the input, and because I'm not going to kid myself, cutting some off the end of the sleeve of the input is no biggie, but trying to bore that thing deeper without wrecking the splines is a no go.

Last edited:
Don't have the answer, but if you called Advance Adapters or Novak they might help you, or someone with more experience on modding the 231 will jump in.

early 90's / late 80's chevy s10 trucks and blazers had np 231C t case's now they wont bolt up but they do have the wide chain and the 6 gears in them... easy to swap and easy to find... probally your best bet

yep, already found that, what I was asking was if anyone had actually drilled it out and what they used bit and cut rate wise, I haven't seen one of these cages yet so I have no clue what they are like metal wise

also, anyone have an answer yet about cutting down the input gear/sleeve? I can't find anything and novak and AA are understandably quite about it, just like the junk yard front shaft for the SYE, they would make a lot more money if we bought new stuff from them

Back