• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockkrawler 3 link mount pics

MattK99

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know there are lots of threads on here discussing this system, but most of them are discussing the ups and downs of it. What I am tryin to figure out, is if I would have to modify either the mounts or my frame stiffeners (ruffstuff) in order to run this set up. If anyone has any pics of the mounts it would be greatly appreciated. If you have pics of the rear four link mounts that'd be even better.
Thanks,
Matt

can take some pictures tomorrow.

25373_1445753263634_1227211528_3217.jpg

25373_1445753703645_1227211528_3217.jpg

25373_1445755503690_1227211528_3217.jpg

I think that side support (thats only on the drivers side) was added by the PO. Sorry to say it but I bough the jeep already built. would rather have done it myself, but it was just way to cheap to pass up! I love the 3 link, 8 inches of lift and it rides GREAT. drive it on the highway all the time. oh and it flexes pretty good to :D

Well, you got any pics of the upper link mount?

That's the older version of the Rock krawler 3-link. The new version has a single, integrated upper and lower control arm mount.
Search for the Rock Krawler install manual; I found it by accident, but it's out there: RKXJ65XFLA.pdf
It has good shots of the brackets. Also, look at the kit on RuffSuff.com.
I also came across a thread of an installation over previously installed frame stiffeners (not RuffStuff, however), the only mod required was the trimming of two spacers installed on the engine-side of the control arm mount bracket, to make accommodate the extra thickness of the plated frame. You may also have to trim that lip on the frame.

Found it for you: http://www.4wd.com/images/catalog/products/large/RKS/PDF/RKXJ65XFLA.pdf

SICK, never seen a 3 linked MJ before! Didnt realize there were multiple versions. Any benefits to the newer version, besides the simpler mount? Are the joints the same?

oh and what crossmember is that? Custom? Was it hard to drill holes that lined up, did you just copy the stock measurements?

thats a stock crossmember, welded on, lol.
not my rig, and it has progressed sinse then, see my thread in jeepspeed.
the joints are the same, i think. THEY BLOW. he replaced his with ballistic joints, i couldnt be more impressed with the ballistic joints, the krawler joints are garbage for going fast. they fall apart.

So, it's hard for me to tell for sure, but can't you just get a link mount like ballistic fab makes and put together something very similar to rk's.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Dual-frame-link-mount_p_1164.html

I mean, I'd want to find a way to tie it around to the outside of the rail but it seems to be the same principle. It looks like rk's upper mounts with the bolt vertical. Weird.

absolutely! if you do it, post pics, as i would love to do the same.! it should be easy if you dont care about ground clearance. which i dont =) unibody stiffeners are obviously a must.
RK has solid stock control arms, which is retarded.

WAIT A SECOND! The picture of the "2nd Gen" set up has frame side bushing style joints. the ones with a metal ring welded to a notched tube. But I have actual adjustable joints on each end. Is my setup custom?

ive heard that rk used pure krawler joints on some of their 3 links.... including the 1st gen....

you could probably buy ballistic bushings, that thread into your links, if you did want to convert over for a slightly kusher ride. think rubicon express superflex vs superride.

ive heard that rk used pure krawler joints on some of their 3 links.... including the 1st gen....

you could probably buy ballistic bushings, that thread into your links, if you did want to convert over for a slightly kusher ride. think rubicon express superflex vs superride.

BACK ON TOPIC... if you had the ruffstuff stiffeners, you would probably have to modify the brackets somehow... their 3/16" thick, and if there was 3/16ths of extra space on the brackets, i think i would remember (that would make em fit like shit)

That is the mounting brackets welded on as advised by the RK install instructions, not the stock cross member welded on.
ASSuming he was talking to me, that is a stock cross member, welded on. i know, i welded it on. the brackets are also welded on, but as he said crossmember, and not brackets... so no. =)

Gotcha, my mistake... I guess mom's saying was right about ASSuming :doh: Does he not want to ever change his trans mount?
Back on topic though, I also have the Ruffstuff stiffeners and I was thinking for when I mount mine, rather than modify the RK brackets I would trim the stiffener down on the inside frame rail edge where it doesnt wrap up. Then weld the brackets on, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
How does the frame end upper joint flex up and down if its vertical like that?

Back