• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel float problem?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I was on my way home from work today and my jeep started to sputter but my fuel gage said i still had a quarter tank. i pulled off and it still ran but when i tried to give it a little gas it would just cut out again but not die.. could it just be i was out of gas or does it sound like a more serious problem. It was also kind of a wet day if that makes any difference

Year/engine/blah, blah, etc., etc.

its a 97 4 liter auto.

Usually if the fuel sending unit float goes bad it will fill with gas and then indicate a lower amount of fuel than what is actually there.

I would throw a mechanical gauge on the fuel rail at the Schrader valve and test the pressure--I believe on yours it is supposed to be 49 psi +- 5 psi.

Do that and post back your numbers.

EDIT: welcome to NAXJA!

I would run a fuel pressure test first, little to no cost. Could be a fuel pump problem.

If that year has a distributor, open it up and wipe out any moisture (although it should dry on it's own from runniing).

Check all plug wires for signs of arcing at night with lights off, engine running, hood up.

i dont have a fuel pressure tester on hand right now but if i push in the valve on the fuel rail it just kinda leaks out a little then stops.

i dont have a fuel pressure tester on hand right now but if i push in the valve on the fuel rail it just kinda leaks out a little then stops.

Not a good sign, but way off of scientific. Most of the chain parts stores in my area rent tools, and Harbor Freight or eBay is good for some cheapo import sets.

Are you pushing in on the valve with the engine running? BTW, always wear eye protection.

just tested it with out it running, key just on. should it be 40-45 psi running and also it the fuel filter on a xj replaceable or is it like the tj were you have to buy a whole pump and everything?

Thanks for the help

Ok, the pressure bleeds off over time, even though there is a check valve in the pump assembly. For a 97+ with the plastic tank you have to remove the tank to get to the pump assembly. The pressure regulator is there and the filter is really just a screen in the tank.

Definitely need to confirm pressure before dropping that tank.

so i checked the fuel pressure its 46 psi. so now what? could it be the fuel filter is cloged or what?

You could get pressure without volume due to a bum filter, but I don't think that is your problem.

What if the problem is not fuel? Was the vehicle hot? Might be early signs of thermal failure in the CPS/CKP crank sensor or the coil. Could be a problem with the TPS, throw a meter on it and check your numbers, same for the CPS/CKP.

Someone on NAXJA reported that the tube running off the bottom of the fuel pump inside of the sock had become disconnected and when they would corner the engine would starve for fuel, but that doesn't sound quite like your issue.

Check the CPS/CKP and TPS values and post up the numbers.

I dont have a meter... but i filled up with gas today my guage said i had a half tank. i filled it up all the way (10 gallons) from half tank. that seemed kinda odd to me. and my guage still said that my tank was not full. so maybe my problem is just with the guage. im going to run a tank of gas through it and see what kinda miles i get to my tank before i go any further. O and i just replaced the TPS about a year ago so it should not be that.

any ways thanks for your help. ill probably post back in a few days.

Back