• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle/gear question

1990heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i wana swap in some 4.10s from the jy and ecology is having half off this weekend. i found the 4.10s but i have a c-clip d35(horrible i know... snapped a shaft in buttes saturday), anyway the ones i found are in a non c-clip axle and i want to know if i could put that carrier in my axle or if i need the whole dang axle. theres no 8.25s or 44s there thats why ime just roll with my d35 for now. one other thing, just did lotsa researching but the 8.25s have c-clips will they walk out too? ive seen people say they wont.

I would swap the whole axle. It would be easier & the non-c-clip axles are a little stronger. I haven't had any trouble with my 8.25. JIM.

ya i was thinking of just doin the whole axle just kickin the swap idea around on how i wana do it. i only ask on the 8.25s cuz i hadnt noticed they were c-clip til i was really learning about the 2 diff rearends.

a: ford 8.8 if you can weld on new perches,
b: xj dana 44 if you can find one.
c: xj 8.25, preferably 29spl, but even 27 spl would be better. if neither a or b

the 8.8 comes with 4.10's easies, iirc.

did you check the other ecology's? santa fe springs had 44's a couple weekends ago.

DO NOT FIX YOUR 35 =)

don't even change the gear lube in your 35 unless you are just trying to get home. Just run it into the ground and replace it.

(I've changed the gear lube in mine in my MJ, but it was because I had a road trip coming up to pick up the 8.25, and the spring perches I ordered weren't here yet... I just wanted it to last the road trip)

while an 8.8 is best and i could set it up ot fit the xj i really just want bolt n go, dont want to deal with setting up an 8.8 at the moment. just want a gear upgrade cuz my 3.07s on 33s is lame, but ill probly upgrade my axle in a couple months. if these non c-clip d35 gears will work in my c-clip d35 then i have a 30 dollar set of gears to get me around. if a 8.25 does snap an axle does it walk out like my d35 or is there another part holding it in?

You're going to need several hundred dollars worth of tools to set those gears up properly.

while an 8.8 is best and i could set it up ot fit the xj i really just want bolt n go, dont want to deal with setting up an 8.8 at the moment. just want a gear upgrade cuz my 3.07s on 33s is lame, but ill probly upgrade my axle in a couple months. if these non c-clip d35 gears will work in my c-clip d35 then i have a 30 dollar set of gears to get me around. if a 8.25 does snap an axle does it walk out like my d35 or is there another part holding it in?

any c-clip axle can walk out if you break one. there is nothing else holding them in, except the caliper if you have rear discs.

Yeah the only reason people like 8.8s and 29 spline 8.25s even though they're c clip is because it's a lot harder to snap an axle shaft so it doesn't become an issue as often.

Back