• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J oil pump locating tabs

nickguy

NAXJA Forum User
So I have now picked up 2 replacement pumps for my tc The locating tabs do not match the recesses in the cover. The first pump I thought was sent in error from Foothills offroad. When I reassembled the case after rebuilding it and putting in a SYE I just kept the original pump. The tabs do line up on that one. Now I am planning on installing a tera-2 low kit and figured I would replace the old oil pump. Picked it up from 4wheel hardware, Crowne #4338936 and it is exactly the same as the one that did not match up.

So are their different pumps for the case? Do I have some sort of generic pump that fits multiple vehicles? There is an reference in one of JB conversions write-ups that says the pump tabs are only to stop it rotating but i cannot see how you could fit it without lining it up with the recesses in the housing. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. From everything I can tell there is one replacement pump for this transfer case that is available.

Last edited:
Are you lifting the mainshaft up? It's free to move around quite a bit until the extension housing is put on. Does the pump fit in the extension housing before you go to bolt it on?

Always mention your year and other pertinent info. :nono: :twak:

Well the year is best described as approximate. But essentially it is a '90 RENIX with a rebuilt TC out of a 91 and a 91 AX15. As far as I can tell the TC oil pump is the same for every xj tc. It is a 231J case 23 spline.

It has been 2 years since I did the SYE and bearing rebuild but like I said the oil pump locating tabs do not match the recesses in the extension housing, that clamps it to the case half. I am loath to pull my case and then wait around while I source yet another pump. I do have the original extension housing, that has the same recesses as the one on the rig and they do not match the pump.

nick

Last edited:
Solved. The crowne pump does fit the old housing. The original one I got had tabs slightly out of wack.

Back