• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emmisions removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_Dyer

NAXJA Forum User
So i HATE a cluttered engine bay. there are so many pieces of junk under my hood that i cant stand it. what all can i safely remove with out hurting the function of the engine? i plan to keep the AC but past that i want to clean it up under there. thanks for the help.
Ben

So i HATE a cluttered engine bay. there are so many pieces of junk under my hood that i cant stand it. what all can i safely remove with out hurting the function of the engine? i plan to keep the AC but past that i want to clean it up under there. thanks for the help.
Ben

Well, you could start by not removing the emissions stuff. That won't go over too well on here but I think I should go pop a bag of popcorn!

....ya if its a piece of junk you should remove it...otherwise its there in order to have the engine run correctly. Your state might get mad when you start removing the "emissions junk"

What are you talking about removing? I'm not familiar with the HO models, as mine is older. You might be better served getting your wiring all organized and consolidated. My a/c sure took up a lot of room, but yours must work if you still want it. Removing emissions stuff is a crime (EPA regulated federal crime I think).
If it really bugs you, it's your truck. There are no write-ups on that kind of thing here for a reason.
Good luck though, give it a good cleaning and get all your hoses and wires bundled nice- that's helped me get over the cluttered mess.

as theyve already said, any suggestions of emissions mods wont be good for your engine and it will be edited out of posts on here anyway. otherwise the only things that cause be removed to help get down to basics would be:
-cruise control
-abs system
-mechanical fan (ive heard it gives back some HP) (replace with electrical fan/s)
-the a/c system would be the biggest "uncluttering" option

Ben

if you dont know what those hoses/electronics/canisters/valves/etc control and how they affect the function of the engine, you may want to rethink your plan.

i know i cant see under the hood when im driving so i dont care much for the looks. form follows function.

just out of curiosity, what year is your xj?

ok so its a bad idea get the point thanks guys

Wow, it was that easy? Nice. We were hoping for some idiot response so we could have fun! Good luck to ya! :cheers:

im still interested in what those "pieces of junk" are that are under the hood.

i have an 89 and think compared to other engine bays on other cars, its fairly clean. mine also doesnt have A/C, so that might make a big difference.

X2. Also, converting to the open cooling system clears up a lot of gangly hose mess, and reduces headaches as well.

that dumb toilet ball float that just kinda sits in my engine bay not attached to anything except a single vacum hose.

ill have to take some pictures also because there is an aftermarket cooler that seems to run to the trany but the stock tranny cooler is still in there.

i know its all important, its just i run a case of slight OC and i use to own an 86 with a carburated v8 in it and there were none of these hoses and wires and canisters.

i have also learned that when people know more about a certan subject than you, you just shut up and listen, take the advice then learn from the next moron that come along and changes things. (ie a thread i found on here about a guy who removed his cat and the #2 o2 sensor, only to find a horrable response in performance).

Oh... you definitely need that. That's the vacuum reservoir that keeps your front axle in 4wd (if you have a vacuum disconnect), your heat/air conditioning blend doors and such in the right places, etc. Things go really screwy if you eliminate it :looney:

that dumb toilet ball float that just kinda sits in my engine bay not attached to anything except a single vacum hose.

Vacuum canister is necessary for heat/ac door function and vacuum actuator on front axle if so equipped, and cruise control.

ill have to take some pictures also because there is an aftermarket cooler that seems to run to the trany but the stock tranny cooler is still in there.

The stock tranny cooler is built into the stock radiator so it will always be there. If there's an aftermarket cooler for the tranny then leave it be as the one in the rad is junk at actually cooling the tranny and engine.

i dont have the actuator any more its got manual hubs but since i want to keep my heater and ac ill leave it be. any one got a picture of where its suppose to be?

i was not wanting to remove the aftermarket cooler simply move that one because they have it way to low for my taste. it is mounted to the very bottom of the front clip. any harm in moving the cooler higher up infront of the stock coolers?

Shouldn't really cause any trouble, might make your radiator temp a tiny tiny bit higher but I wouldn't even expect to see a difference on the gauge. Usually the vac reservoir is stashed in the passenger end of the front bumper.

Wow, it was that easy? Nice. We were hoping for some idiot response so we could have fun! Good luck to ya!
cheers.gif

biggrin.gif

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back