• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much better are the Crown Vic Calipers than stock 44 drums

TerraHauler

NAXJA Forum User
How much of an improvement does discs make over the stock D44 drums. I just put a set of cutting brakes in to control the back brakes and the drums didn't have enough power to stop the rears from spinning in my trick front dig setup(more on that later). I tried upgrading to a 1 1/8" wheel cylinder and that definately added more power over the stock 7/8" wheel cylinder. Do you think the explorer gives as much braking as the stock fronts, or is just a little improvement over the stock drums ...I'll prolly go with the bigger crown vic calipers but want to make sure they're stong enough to hold the back wheels to allow the fronts to spin.

FYI the the wheel cyclinders are direct bolt in from a 87 dodge 3/4 ton and come in 7/8, 15/16, and 1 1/8 inch sizes. def a good upgrade if you just want more rear braking power. Only take about an hour to change and about $18 for two from NAPA. Def added a lot more stopping power to the rears.

were you using the small or large drums? i think the 44's came in 2 different sizes, 9 or 10"

I was using the large.... 2.5 inch wide. Def neeed to go to the discs though. The shoes couldn't take the pressure of the cutting brakes and actually bent them. But I was putting a lot of pressure on them with the pedal and then pushing more fluid with the cutting handles.

Back