• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seating the torque converter

Mike Axle

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any tips for seating the torque converter in to the transmission? I am pushing and rotating trying to get the torque converter to seat far enough in to the transmission but am unable to get it to go back / in far enough to allow me to bolt the tranny up to the engine. It wont drop in the last 1/2 inch it needs to go.

Try pushing up a bit while rotating, and back and forth. Also try cursing, or if you already have, switch up the order you use the words in... I find it helps.

Take your time, and keep turning it, until it falls in. It took me a couple hours to put mine in, but I take my time to make sure it was right. You will know when it goes.

Try pushing up a bit while rotating, and back and forth. Also try cursing, or if you already have, switch up the order you use the words in... I find it helps.
up, up a little more, yeah, right there.... now to the left a little... no, my left... yeah, just like that.... alright, now shake it a little

wait, are we still talking about torque converters?

Grab a clean trash can, stand the transmission on its tail in the can and work it that way.

We always kept a couple of the 35 gal grease barrels (cleaned) around for just that purpose.

Thanks all. I found the issue. I did not have the torque converter on all the way on the initial install and I messed up the splines inside the torque converter when trying to bolt the tranny up to the engine. I did not damage the splines on the tranny though. Now I am left wondering if I have damaged anything inside the tranny? Do I install the tranny now or what?

If you banged up your ATF pump or gears, where could you find replacement pumps or parts?

Mine seems to be ok for now, but I have been made aware of an assembly error (lol) we made that may make that pump die soon.

Thanks Mr Jacobs and Ill keep you updated!!!

I ordered a brand new AW4 from team cherokee today. I am tired of messing around with used trannys. Now that I have discovered the installation traps everything should be good now. Price is $1800.00 brand new. A rebuilt around here costs $1500.00 and up.

Used is the way to go, I picked up a rebuilt one from a guy that blew his head gasket (i know right) and didn't know what he was doing. (he didn't rebuild it lol) 160 bucks :)
As for the torque converter, make sure you put it on the transmission first, then bolt it to the flywheel. I stood my tranny up and stuck the TC on it and spun and pushed until it dropped 3 times, then used some wire to hold it in place until i got it back under the XJ.

1500? yikes!

I can buy a dozen at the scrapyard for that, or far more if I buy off NAXJA and/or friends.

Sure it's a hassle... but that's why it isn't my daily driver anymore.

Back