• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline Vibe. Slip yoke??

bkhudgins

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished my SYE conversion, and trying to get rid of new vibes. Here is what I have.
2001 xj apx 5 1/2" lift w/ 231 and 8.25
I did the SYE just like GOJEEP but using my original front as the rear shaft
I bought a longer front shaft to go up front. (95 zj 5.3)
My driveshaft angle is at 16 pinion at 14
With the above set up I still get pretty bad vibes around 50mph and faster. I have noticed that the slip yoke joint on the rear shaft has a little play in it. Could that be causing my vibe. If any of you can suggest a way for me to do some more testing that would be great.

Oh yeah and the front shaft is out and also the rear shaft u joints are new and good.
Thanks in advance

The play may have something to do with it.

But I have a stupid question...

Did you shim your rear axle so that the pinion points at the transfer case?

Ron

Had the same problem 10yrs ago with my 2000,ended up doing a HD sye(after trying a std sye) and its been awsome ever since.The 97+ T-case just has to much un-supported shaft and this is a very common problem,Jeep even issued a TSB to cover the problems with stock "off the lot" rigs.

mostly correct RCP... however it's 96+ on the transfer case years. How do I know? I have a 96 and it has the new design.

bkhudgins, try another shaft with less play in it if you can borrow one. You may also need to aim for slightly less angle between the driveshaft and pinion, maybe 1 degree instead of 2?

I planned on trying a friends front shaft but is has more play than mine. I may try and hit some junk yards to see if they will let me borrow one. I did alot of searching before doing this style SYE, I did not see anything about people having problems with this setup. I realy hope the new shaft works cause I am broke.....

They aren't gonna let you borrow one unless you know them, but you should have a spare anyways and they'll only charge like 20 bucks probably.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the slip yoke joint off the drive shaft. If I could remove it easily I will swap the two yokes on the shafts. The local yard charges 50 bucks for the drive shafts. There is a pull a part about 70 miles from me, but no way to know if they have one or not. long way to drive to strike out.

Back