• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small lift for trail rider

gto109

NAXJA Forum User
i have a stock 96 xj. im thinking about putting a small lift to fit 31's mostly for the look, but my friend is saying it will vibrate and will not like it. anyone have any opions on this? i use it mostly for trail riding other then last night where i bounced the back of it off the ground becouse the trail washed out i get around them just fine stock.

i have a stock 96 xj. im thinking about putting a small lift to fit 31's mostly for the look, but my friend is saying it will vibrate and will not like it. anyone have any opions on this? i use it mostly for trail riding other then last night where i bounced the back of it off the ground becouse the trail washed out i get around them just fine stock.

Your friend is misinformed. If you lift it properly there will be no vibrations. If you don't plan on wheeling it hard you can get away with a transfer case drop and end there but the best solution is a Hack and tap Slip yoke eliminator or a full SYE. Check out the search feature or google and search for threads pertaining to lifting an XJ. I am currently on 2 inches with 31's and a t-case drop(on it when I bought it) and I have no vibrations. If you go over 3.5 thats when you run into bad vibes on the 97+ models and some have been know to getup to 5 without a SYE on older XJ's but it really just depends on the Jeep.

This is what I have......

DAYSTAR..
part #KJ09105BK from this site....
http://www.suspension-components.com/MMYSelection.php
Check around and see if ya can get 'em cheaper somewhere else.
Mine was 111.00 I think when I got it at 4-wheel FARTS a few years ago.
Get GREASEABLE shackles.

Running 31's
Trimmed fenders/no flairs
Home made bumpstops
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBumpstops.htm
i need to do the fronts, popped my flairs off because i didnt.
Wanted 'em off anyway. ;)

Fendertrim005.jpg

i use this jeep for a back up car and light trail riding and i realy dont want to trim the wheel wells. i understand that you get more room that way but realy i dont need the extra room. i trails i drive i get around just fine with it stock.

budget boost. spacers and shackles or spacers and aal's

search "bastard pack" cheap and most effective way todo a budget boost.
get some spacers for the front to level it out. I wouldn't worry about the case r driveshaft at anything below 3 inches. Hell, I'm using the stock driveshaft on my MJ at 4+ and it will still do 70 MPH on the freeway.

Yeah I agree with 87manche. "bastard pack". I had an add-a-leaf rode rough and made noise. I used a set of stock s10 springs to do my bastrad pack and love it. I netted about 3 to 3 1/2" lift with that set up. i had no vibes w t-case drop untill 5+ and 4.56's.

to fit 31's without trimming the fenders you need a 3" lift.

I really think you could get away with it on 2 with proper bumpstops and maybe clearancing the inside of the flares. Mine is on 2" w/31's and relocated front flares.

Honestly, if you want cheap, go with zj springs (or spacer on your stock spring) and a shackle lift in the rear. Stock shocks will work, you DON'T need a SYE or any t-case drop. As for the 31's, not gonna happen with 2" if you plan on flexing at all. Could probably pull it off with proper bump stops and never disconnecting the sway bar. If you just bounce around basic trails, stay cheap. The 2" range won't create any vibration as long as you get a good alignment done after the lift.

As for the 31's, not gonna happen with 2" if you plan on flexing at all. Could probably pull it off with proper bump stops and never disconnecting the sway bar.

Really? Mine rubbed just a little on the rear(31x10.5 on 15x7s w/ 4"b.s.). I need to extend my rear bumpstops about an inch and they shouldn't rub at all. I have trimmed fenders w/relocated flares up front and once i put the discos on I think it will flex good. My main limiting factor is the front swaybar being connected.

i think im going to go with a 3 inch to fit the 31s. i should of stated in the begining its also my wifes jeep and she wont let me cut it up.

Back